Need help retaining my sanity, PART 2.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need help retaining my sanity, PART 2.

Okay well heres the original post but besides all there a new problem has arisen:

so basically im doing hardcore promotion for the club where im hosting my event next saturday, and im not only promoting my event but these club hosted events that are this sunday and next sunday too. the thing is that the club manager said that i was going to give a preview of my event this sunday by doing an hour long opening set. now this would be friggen dandy in my opinion except for these factors:
    This is a 14-18 club, where they usually play top 40 and stuff, yet my event is electro themed, & i know my DJ etiquitte so i know as an opener i cant be be bringing down the house, but how am i supposed to preview my high energy/mini rave event while staying within the limits of the role of an opener?

Also, my computer just updated itself and now its fucking up badly, so i cant get any programs to run so i cant practice a new set for this sunday (i already know what im playing for next saturday as im closing so im gonna be bringing down the house) although i can practice on my friends laptop the most id have to learn a new set is 2 days

I feel odd that im not excited about this @ all, because this should be fun playing an opening set as a first gig @ a club, because it should be low pressure and good experience, but theres just so many factors that are taking the fun outta this that i feel like ive lost touch as to why i wanted to do this in the first place...

so please, any & all advice would be appreciated

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Ignore that question, as it was answered in the post, hah

Uh... I'd say kick it with some of the mellow electro, but keep it energized. You're not there to set a mood, you're there to show what you're going to do. Play the poppy stuff, but just don't get too aggressive.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Solus View Post
    Okay well heres the original post but besides all there a new problem has arisen:

so basically im doing hardcore promotion for the club where im hosting my event next saturday, and im not only promoting my event but these club hosted events that are this sunday and next sunday too. the thing is that the club manager said that i was going to give a preview of my event this sunday by doing an hour long opening set. now this would be friggen dandy in my opinion except for these factors:
    This is a 14-18 club, where they usually play top 40 and stuff, yet my event is electro themed, & i know my DJ etiquitte so i know as an opener i cant be be bringing down the house, but how am i supposed to preview my high energy/mini rave event while staying within the limits of the role of an opener?
    i would guess that as the club owner is aware of what you play, he has taken this into consideration. if not, he's a damned fool imho. so just do your thing and show off the event, maybe play at slightly reduced pitch? but you still need to present what the night is/will be about. plus if the next guy is top 40 i wouldn't worry too much about being too hardcore, he'll just follow with basshunter

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

basshunter is top40?

Wow... I am REALLY out of touch
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    basshunter is top40?

Wow... I am REALLY out of touch
    think i pulled the right name there... i'll have a quick youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyYXirCAHP0

er, yes. at least in the uk anyway....

SoundCloud

You can't cancel. That will just make you look bad. But, you can't show up with a crappy routine either. You'll have to wing it with a truly 'live' show.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Ignore that question, as it was answered in the post, hah

Uh... I'd say kick it with some of the mellow electro, but keep it energized. You're not there to set a mood, you're there to show what you're going to do. Play the poppy stuff, but just don't get too aggressive.
    Okay i get you, this is the list of songs i have so far that im considering playing, theyre in no particular order (im not using any of my next week's closing set's songs for this one):

Bring the noise pump-kin remix - benny benassi
    Yeah - darren mase
    Slip - Deadmau5
    Not Exactly vs. Audio Link (personal mix, its on my soundcloud)
    Space (andy tau's remix) - craze c
    Destination - Rundenko Project
    Rainforest - DJ nash
    Moar Doo Wop N Whatever (Lauryn Hill vs Deadmau5)
    Hi Friend! vs. My Revolution (another personal mix)
    Ghosts 'n' Stuff vs. What is Love (Uppermost Remix) (ANOTHER personal mix)
    So much Booty - girls n boomboxes
    Bounce - MSTRKRFT
    Im in the house - steve aoki
    Ayo - Hyper Crush
    Bonkers - Dizzee Rascal & Armand Van Helden
    Awesome - Bloody beetroots ft. cool kids

Make you feel vs. some chords (last personal mix featuring deadmau5, i swear)
    Whos afraid of detroit? (stuck between either the Stanton Warriors or Tanner Ross remix)
    Trip like i do - Crystal Method
    Taking Over - SpekrFreks
    Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss - Bloodhound gang
    Traffic - tiesto
    Come Fly Away - benny benassi

If anybody has ANY suggestions on what to leave out or song suggestions for me to use, please do, especially concerning appropriate electro tracks (and make it quick i only have 2 days to prepare hahaha im freakin out mannnnnn)

the stuff in red is kinda hip hopish/hybrid house stuff so maybe that would be good to close out with to help transition to the main DJ & his top 40 and such?
    Last edited by Dj Solus; 08-06-2010 at 03:25 PM.

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    i would guess that as the club owner is aware of what you play, he has taken this into consideration.
    I happen to know a quite famous club in berlin that recently proved the exact opposite, but hey

@OP: just do your thing, but leave some headroom for the other guys. playing openers might seem lame, but it's your job to get the people going and it's a damn important one. take it seriously and do your best!

edit: I suggest you pick a number of tracks you'd consider playing during warmup, but avoid a fixed playlist - because crowds are unpredictable. unless you're a bigshot who can get away with pretty much anything, you'll have to improvise. the trick is to have a good preselection ready; you don't want to be going through your entire track collection looking for proper tracks, that can get ugly real fast.

oh yeah, the fatboy slim quote you posted in the original thread is something I consider one of the most important things about DJing. keep your eyes on the crowd - always. you can't focus on everyone at the same time, that's impossible - but try to maintain eye contact with a couple of people, preferably girls - because the general rule for every crowd is: once you've got the chicks, you've automatically got the guys.
    Last edited by ctrld; 08-06-2010 at 03:28 PM.

Tech Mentor

What'd I'd personally do is mix in lots of electro remixes of hip-hop/top 40 songs. It'll be familiar to the crowd, but still keep near the genre you like to play. Don't worry too much about song selection, bring a variety, who knows, they might like your electro. As for the energy level, I'd start slow, take it to about 80% of where you think the energy could be, and hand the next DJ a hyped-up, excited dancefloor.

One thing you should look at is your reliance on pre-programmed sets. You really can't do that. Going in with a mental list: "I'm going to play this track, then this remix, then this..." I'd encourage you to stay as far away from that as possible. It's hard to be a crowd-pleaser when you've already decided what the crowd likes, before you've even met them. Most of the time I'll be in the middle of a great set and have no idea what the next song I'm going to play is. I let the dancefloor inspire my mixing and my song selection, and that, imho is the most effective way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    One thing you should look at is your reliance on pre-programmed sets. You really can't do that. Going in with a mental list: "I'm going to play this track, then this remix, then this..." I'd encourage you to stay as far away from that as possible. It's hard to be a crowd-pleaser when you've already decided what the crowd likes, before you've even met them. Most of the time I'll be in the middle of a great set and have no idea what the next song I'm going to play is. I let the dancefloor inspire my mixing and my song selection, and that, imho is the most effective way to do it.
    agree to a point, however in the past i've always decided the first 3, then go from there, you want something that'll grab attention, something familar (either remix or original) then something with a familiar sound but is new to the listener, i.e not on the radio, or not yet. judge from those 3 which is best direction to go.

SoundCloud

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast