DJ etiquette
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DJ etiquette

Tech Wizard

Default DJ etiquette

So a few weeks ago I got my first legit club gig as the opener. I've heard that as an opener you're not supposed to play a real heavy banging set. I'm an energetic guy and my set mainly consists of blasting the audience with high energy drops with the occasional chill techno/house song wedged in to give people breaks.

I ended just playing bangers for an hour and a half strait. I couldn't help it, but people were dancing and having a good time. Afterwards, a promoter came up and asked me to open at a bigger club in town as an opener. It's a big place that holds about 800 people and I couldn't be more excited to play. He also told me that if my set goes well, I'll get to play a set during peak time at the next event.

This place houses the most popular DJ's in my city and I guess I'm just wondering that, as the opener again, should I be playing a really high energy set? Is there some unspoken code that I've yet to learn? I suppose I just don't want to piss off the other DJ's... it worked the first time, but that was at a small club. Let me know what's up my friends!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Welcome, congrats and it's not unspoken. Start by reading this.

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/01/03/dj-etiquette/
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

ctrld

it all boils down to this: be nice. talk to the guy playing after you and let him know you care about making the transition from your set to his set as smooth and easy as possible. as an opener, you might think you're doing the dirty work, but in reality you're playing a key role because it depends on you whether the people are sufficiently hyped up for the rest of the evening. some residents will regard you as competition and might act a bit like assholes, but that doesn't happen all too often. if it does, swallow your ego and meet everything they throw at you with a smile

Tech Mentor

Maybe go all out at the middle of your set, (because that's how you play) but then bring the energy back down? I'd be considerate of the other DJ, but at the same time, that guy is your competition, you know? Don't kiss up too much. (Like playing boring music nobody dances to so that he sounds awesome when it's his turn, which is essentially what you're being asked to do.)

Get a feel for the audience. If they like it, go with it. They're the ones that are paying for you and the next guy(s), and any possible "headliner" that might have been brought in. I've been to countless shows where the opener is just flat out better than the guest from out of town (or abroad). Not their fault. But, I think earlier in the night the music needs to be softer than in the early hours of the morning.

End all be all rule:
    1: Ask the organizer of the event (or manager of the club if it's not a special event).
    2: Do what they say.

I'm DJing in the lounge room of a venue tomorrow. I asked if it needed to be "loungy" and the organizer simply said, "You can play whatever, but there are many beginner DJs [likely after me] so keep it to the standard 4-beat techno/house/minimal".
    Last edited by kiss-o-matic; 08-10-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Tech Mentor

If they asked you to open up at a really popular club because they heard you blast the floor, it seems silly to not do what they liked so much.

However, courtesy (and sense) dictate that you should talk to the event organizer/club owner/other DJs about what kind of set you should play. It'll help you get off on the right foot with everyone else at the club, which is never a bad thing.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    that guy is your competition, you know?
    no, he isn't - he's another DJ playing the same night. if you're humble and show respect, some people might abuse it, but generally it will come back to you in a good way after some time.

playing boring music nobody dances to so that he sounds awesome when it's his turn
    I think you have misunderstood what a warm-up dj set is.

Tech Guru

Maybe go all out at the middle of your set, (because that's how you play) but then bring the energy back down? I'd be considerate of the other DJ, but at the same time, that guy is your competition, you know? Don't kiss up too much. (Like playing boring music nobody dances to so that he sounds awesome when it's his turn, which is essentially what you're being asked to do.)

the idea of programming the evenings timeslots in favour of the peaktime slots is less of a courtesy for the headliner and more of a courtesy to the audience.

it's not about who's ego is getting inflated or bruised, it's about giving the audience not only what they want in music, but more importantly when they need it.

the idea of programming the evenings timeslots in favour of the peaktime slots is less of a courtesy for the headliner and more of a courtesy to the audience.
    More cases than not the DJ schedule is set based on pay grade, where the highest paid gets the juiciest slot.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiss-o-matic View Post
    More cases than not the DJ schedule is set based on pay grade, where the highest paid gets the juiciest slot.
    yeah no kidding, what does that have to do with the discussion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast