First Gig!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First Gig!!!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Gianmarco View Post
    if they arent already, map traktor to ur computer keys. at least enough for the basic functions (pause/play, cue, etc.)

aside from that al i can say is stay calm and have FUN! remember the crowd seeing the dj go crazy can really get the going sometimes

Gianmarco
    I don't mean to be the rude one here, but have you even done a gig yet? You are talking like an expert when only a couple months ago you were asking what kind of headphones/speakers are good for beginners. The points you make seem obviously true, but I just feel the need to be the devil's advocate here.

Hey, experience and knowledge are 2 different things. Both are very important. But that sounds like some good advice to me.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    I don't mean to be the rude one here, but have you even done a gig yet? You are talking like an expert when only a couple months ago you were asking what kind of headphones/speakers are good for beginners. The points you make seem obviously true, but I just feel the need to be the devil's advocate here.
    its all good man. Yeah ive done a few parties over the past year with traktor (but with borrowed speakers)

I agree with what drew stated above

Gianmarco
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

My advice would be to not forget why you're playing music. It's easy to get caught up in hitting transitions and effects right, playing that great playlist you like, dealing with that annoying (but stunningly beautiful) girl that keeps asking you to play the same song after you've already played it for her...
    Remember: You are there to make sure people have a good time. Make them happy and you will have a good night. Play what they want to dance to! Watch the crowd and play music that will entertain them.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Remember: You are there to make sure people have a good time. Make them happy and you will have a good night. Play what they want to dance to! Watch the crowd and play music that will entertain them.

Tech Guru

what i'd suggest mainly is not to have a set playlist. sure, have a list of tracks that you know you'll want to play or will go down well, but i've seen DJ's turn up with their cds and a piece of paper with their set wrote down on it, even with the times to start mixing in and out etc...

ends up, their set doesnt flow with the mood that the crowd are in.

Tech Wizard

Gig went off dudes, not a problem at all!

Only thing was cops came =[

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by moomentum View Post
    Gig went off dudes, not a problem at all!

Only thing was cops came =[
    damn sorry to hear.

was the party registered?

why did they come? noise?
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

just because they're the law doesn't mean they don't like to party
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

LOL...cops coming is the norm here!

If they don't come...you not doing it right!

Usually they just ask you to turn it down....which we do....for a bit.

Unless there was debauchery.....then they will shut it down and send everyone home!

So....did they stop your party?

We were having a bigass festival in a forest here in Cape Town and due to the party there the weekend before that was NUTS....the cops basically raided this party.

There were guys with dogs and riot gear and what not.

Imagine....a Psytrance party with loads of fruity people wandering around in the dark....all of a sudden COPS....with guns and torches and dogs!

Luckily....we were able to keep them from rushing the place and freaking everyone out.

I was busy jamming when one of the organisers came and asked me to turn it down....due to the situation. I was able to hear what was happening at the gate via the 2 way radio.....it was not pretty!

Then...i was asked to turn the music off.
    Bunch of cops standing on the dancefloor...giving everyone the eye.

This Female cop shouts at me that if i play one more...beat....JUST FUCKING ONE.....I will be arrested!

LOL

Someone in the crowd beatboxed....which kinda irritated her.

Then the guys with the djembe drums started up....and some firedancers going...as the power had been turned off...and the forrest was BLACK!

The cop freaked out again....about fire hazzard etc. We had 28 ...yes...28 LARGE fire extinguishers.

The plan was to start the music up again when the sun came up....and as I had not played for about 4 months....i really wanted to finish my set!!!!

I stayed in the DJ box...fighting off the other DJ's....telling em....I AM PLAYING WHEN THE POWER IS ON AGAIN!!!!

LOL

OK.....sorry for the long story!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast