Absolutely a complete noob with speakers
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Absolutely a complete noob with speakers

Hey, so as the title suggests, I'm absolutely a complete noob when it comes to speakers and setting up my gear with some speakers.

I'm looking to buy some speakers for DJ-ing personally for myself, and I'm wondering which ones to get. I looked at some on craiglists and met with a guy but I had absolutely no idea if they would work or not so I ended up passing them up.

I have an Audio 2 DJ Sound Card and I just don't know the first thing about speakers and which cables run from the sound card to the speakers. Would I be able to use the sound card on a pair of speakers that I could play with at a house party or not? Are there any suggestions as to which speakers I should buy that might serve that purpose?

Sorry, this thread is kinda all over the place but I really have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to speakers.

Thanks for any and all advice
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

uh well, for practicing in my room i have some frisby fs 5000-7 from their thing on ebay.

as for house party stuff i have one weird setup that consists of 2 newer home sterio speakers, a sub i got from someone else and 2 random speakers. i cant really help you there
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

You can plug your Audio 2 directly into any speaker system that has unbalanced inputs. This pretty much means no XLR in's, so look for a system that has 1/4" or RCA inputs. And you're might need some adapter cables, but those can be found pretty cheap.
    I would advise looking for powered speakers, so you don't need to haul around a separate amp. Depending on your budget there are several options available.
    On the cheaper end is the Behringer's like this one.....
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB212D

And i've always been a fan of Yamaha's powered speakers...
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMSR400

Hope this helps.

Tech Mentor

would that behringer be good as a monitor as well because I'm looking for some cheapish monitors that could double as speakers for a small party

and other option I have would be a pair of KRK Rokit 6 G2 (on sale here in Switzerland for 260$ instead of 999$), are they any good?

Tech Guru

the general consensus is studio monitors should not really be used for dj use, or small house partys. Thats a great price on the KRKs though, and you should grab them.

Look for some Mackie (or tapco, same thing) Thumps. They are pretty cheap.

I believe you can use the audio 2 direct into XLR type inputs (TRS to xlr cable). Rather than being balanced, you will just have a stereo signal traveling through it.

Tech Mentor

yeah turns out its per piece and their deal page was misleading

so what kind of speaker would you suggest for monitoring?
    I'm a bedroom Dj so i dont really need too much power but still want to hear what I'm mixing and if possible use them as monitors if I'm at a house party (with some other speakers for PA). Any tipps on what to look for when looking at the specs?

Looks like me and Ashigari are in a pretty similar position

I dont have the money for those yamaha's but would those Behringers be a good thing for personal, home use?
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Behringer also has a cheaper,8" version of the same thing....
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHB208D

200w each, so if you get a pair it should be plenty for a house party.

honestly man, the 8" behringers will not do it for a house party that has more than 50 ppl, you'll need atleast a 12" speaker, probably a 15" if you want to be able to spin for a party of 100. I just spent the last 6 months saving up (i'm in university, so i'm pretty poor lol) and researching. I pretty much narrowed it down to the behringer Eurolive B215B, and the Mackie TH-15A Thump. a pair of either will run you around $670-700. I ended up getting the Mackie Thumps, and I'm really happy with my purchase. I used to think ppl who were suggesting I get 15" speakers were just being snobs who think you always need the loudest and biggest speaker for stuff, but after doing my research, I realized that I needed 15" because I wasn't getting a subwoofer, (12" speakers are fine for big parties if you have a woofer). The 15" speakers really offer the low end, when there's just two, as opposed to using a pair of 12", which would really lack on the low-end.

Guitar Center is having an amazing sale on the behringer B215D selling the pair for about $650 with stands included. If you can afford them, I hear they are very decent. I chose not to purchase the behringers because I went to a local store in toronto, and got an awesome deal on the thumps, otherwise my heart was set on the Behringers (mainly due to the price).

hope this helps.

-BMO
    My Mixcloud Page!
    Macbook Pro 13", Kontrol Z2, Kontrol F1, Kontrol X1, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-850, 2 x Pioneer CDJ-400, Traktor Scratch Pro, Audio 4 DJ.

Tech Mentor

The behringer 8'' looks nice and rather cheap (even in Switzerland^^), might end up getting one or two of them even though they'd blast my little room to pieces

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast