Want to buy gear to mix externally. CDJ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Want to buy gear to mix externally. CDJ???

I am your basic bedroom DJ still learning by listening. I use only a midi controller and it serves my needs quite well. At the end of the day though, I would like to mix externally, probably CDJs, so that I become used to using them when I land a gig.

My questions are thus:

1. There are many models of CDJs. I am looking for a basic, relatively cheap model that I can learn to manually beatmatch with. I'm not spending 1.5k on these new MK3, that's rediculous. What about the CDJ 400 or even the Reloop RMP1? The Reloop looks sick.

2. Do I need to have two CDJs? With a tight budget, am I able to purchase just one and use my controller together with it and then later down the road buy the other one?

3. I have taken a LOT of time to map my controller how I want it. Using CDJs, will I still have access to all of its functionality? I know the CDJ can loop and has a few FX, but so does my controller...

$800 a pop seems like a lot of money to spend just to pop in a CD or use time code. I am hitting my midi limits though. Any advice?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Gryz; 08-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Why do you want to mix externally? Now I'm not saying that as in "It's not worth it MIDI all the way", but more, what is your incentive? It's a lot of money to lay down, and I'm not sure external decks are going to give you a lot of extra functionality.

So what's your incentive? ANother option is to go the Bome route to do MIDI translation and build REALLY advanced super knobs, and then go the Max4Live route to build customized stuff in Ableton. All cheaper than getting two good external CD decks.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

To be honest, it's just so I can say that I can do it, especially when the need arises. I was thinking timecode would be best, still keeping the laptop functionality and ability to visually see my cuepoints in Traktor.

But in order to do this I need three things. A new soundcard, TScratch, and the hardware.
    KRK RP8sFG

It's a lot of money to spend for a notch on the belt. In my mind, there is no added functionality, whatsoever. You can use your well mapped controller(s) with the timecode, but still, I don't think it's really going to add anything.

If you want to learn to manually beatmatch you can do it with your controllers and save yourself a LOT of money.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

You are right. Thank you for talking me out of it haha. I play mainly trance and progressive house and you are right, I can do everything with my controller.

Now let me ask you one more question. I have been getting into layering songs for long periods of time, harmonically...basically two songs in one. I can do this as well with my controller, but have yet to find an easy way to map my cue points for beat juggling. Do you have a solution, or would a midi-fighter be the best way to accompish this? As of now, my mouse is what is doing the cue point juggling haha
    KRK RP8sFG

Any pad controllers would work for what you want, as well as your keyboard. In fact, for a quick and easy solution, map your keyboard for cue juggling.

A MIDIFighter would be perfect, it's what I use (the old model with built in joysticks), and I would recommend them for a ton of reasons.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Thank you again. The keyboard idea is great! Can I ask what each cuepoint is labeled as in the controller preference tab? Meaning, if I hit number 1, 3, 8 ect...how do I make sure that is what cue point it goes to?

If you really want to see what I'm dabbling in, look up Eddy Kitt on Youtube. They are nowhere near perfect, but I am enjoying the harmonic mixing. The latter two are the better I would say. Trance and Prog. House are still my favorites though.
    KRK RP8sFG

What you were looking at running is my exact setup now. Two RMP1s, external mixer, soundcard and TSP and to be honest im starting to move away from the whole external setup and into controllers as i thats how i personally see as the future of DJing. More live producing rather than beatmatching the end of one song to the intro of another.

Well thank you for the advice. I think I will stick to this then. It makes sense.

Just figured out how to map my keyboard while still using my controller. Works a charm!
    Last edited by Gryz; 08-12-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Mentor

If you wanna give ACTUAL beat matching a try there's nothing wrong with that

I also mix progessive house and house, i felt like you did and i sold my vci 100 which helped me get my basic skills down and then moved to a CDJ 400 setup

IMO it really helped me and gave me the boost i needed for my skills also alot of clubs dont hire people with laptops even through it is the way of the future

Keeping in mind you can always keep traktor PRO and run the cdj's in HID mode just like a controller and use ur controller for effects or get a X1.. i cant imagine you needing to use many effects for prog mixing??

just burn off cd's for when just using CDJ's and dont spend the money on getting scratch pro
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast