TPro thought experiment #2: record your own FX (lengthy but comments appreciated)

Default TPro thought experiment #2: record your own FX (lengthy but comments appreciated)

I put forward a couple of feature requests on the NI forums for time-related auto FX:

New effect: Loop Roll Plus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so we know Serato has loop roll, and it's quite good? Here is how I envisage it working in Traktor. Of course it has some improvements:

It is basically a cross between the beatmasher and beatslicer with an extra element: a time constraint. After 8 or 16 beats the effect disengages, so it is truly 'fire and forget' like the Serato loop roll!

Advanced
    Encoders:
    (1) Dry/Wet
    (2) Incoporate 'buzz' into the patterns... like beatslicer
    (3) Pattern select
    (4) Pattern select... like beatslice

Pattern 1/1 would be the standard Serato 'halve the loop' thing. Other patterns would rhythmically vary, the guiding principle being that the snippets get busier to create a buildup effect. The snippets would start from different parts of the sample like the beatslicer too.

Buttons:
    (1) On/Off - fire and forget, the effect will disengage automagically
    (2) Effect reset
    (3) Incorporate 'reverse' into the patterns... like Beatmasher 1
    (4) 8/16 beat duration

Even though the principle is 'fire and forget' to keep your hands free, you can still tweak the settings at any time or disengage the effect yourself.

Chained
    The most common and musical sounding paramers from above.

Next level effects: Record your own

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my vision of FX nextlevelness: record your own time based FX macros. A bit like the sadly missed NMX recorder:

I envision a bank of 3 buttons in each FX panel for 'user macros'. These will be different for every advanced effect and every combination of chained effects.

How it works: You bring up the effect or combination of effects you want to record. You right or ctrl-click the macro button you want to record. It starts flashing. You hit On for the FX panel and start tweaking those knobs. When you are finished you hit off. Traktor records all of the movements of the knobs and quantizes the length of the macro you've recorded to the nearest beat.

Next time you want to use the effect macro that you've recorded you bring up the advanced fx or combination of chained fx to the screen. You can see that you've recorded a macro. You click it. Traktor plays the macro back and then automagically turns the FX off at the end whilst you concentrate on something else.

------

This got me thinking: assuming these aren't announced on Monday, could I do it myself? I think I can, in this brainfart I'll be using TPro, Maschine and Ableton:

(1) Arm a MIDI clip in Ableton, have it listen to the output from my VCI
    (2) Hit record, play tune in TPro, mess with FX until I get the required 8 or 16 or 32 beat effect (say a beat roll buildup)
    (3) Tidy up MIDI clip and quantize
    (4) Have the clip output the MIDI (Midi-Yoke? Bomes?)
    (5) Traktor is set up to input this MIDI
    (6) Trigger my MIDI clip from MIDI mode in Maschine

(7) Voila! You've recorded and are using your own 'fire and forget' FX!

Thoughts? Comments? I'm not gonna have a chance to set this up for a couple of weeks probably...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

ctrld

been here, done that, same as your hotcue chord idea it's too much work in my opinion. it will work though, so if you have the time - go ahead. it's gonna turn a few heads.

Bugger. Everywhere I go ctrld, you've been there before me
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

hmm.... everywhere??....
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    [insert 'mum joke' here]

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

[insert's "brad's mum" joke where appropriate]
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Well, I'm gonna experiment with Maschine and Traktor in about a week. I'll be trying to use VAC to pass audio from Machine directly into a Traktor deck. And use MIDI sync too.

I think I might be able to achieve dummy MIDI clips in the standalone version of Maschine using the macro controls in Maschine 1.5.

Or I could try Kore to host Machine as a VST, and then reroute the master out of Traktor into Kore to use The Finger for additional FX.

Depends on latency/MIDI sync issues, but if I can make it easy to implement then I'll let you know.
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    I didn't want to make it sound like that at all. I just happened to try both things you mentioned already and found that for me, it's too much work for what you get in the end. that doesn't mean it's gonna be the same for you

Wasn't said in all seriousness mate!
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud