CHEATING - playing songs from 1 record label?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default CHEATING - playing songs from 1 record label?

so we all know that auto-beat matching is cheating. but there is a new form of cheating, described below:

i just remembered to ask this question : so the other day i saw this TENMINMIX video and there was 28 good comments, but 1 bad comments flamed/bashed on the dood spinning because he played 3 songs from Toolroom Records and said that hes cheating, etc, all songs are very easy to mix and etc and kept going about how easy it is to mix any song from toolroom records. so continued bashing him for playing songs from 1 record label.

is it cheating & lame if your playing songs from one record label when your not an artist from the label?

does it show how skill-less you as a DJ, are, if you only play songs from one record label?

there are so many DJ CHEATING things out there, and i unforuunately can not keep up with all of them, but please i like to learn and stay away from being a "dj cheater" or cheating. I DONT WANT A BAD REP. THANK YOU
    Last edited by cutflow; 08-14-2010 at 01:32 PM.

i dont think it is. i mean, when you dip into top 40 its hard not to play from the same label

and does it really matter in other cases? music is music, where it came from shouldnt mater (maybe the who does a little)
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I don't think so.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

lame...

its NOT cheating...tell that dude to shut his face...if i want to play all my imperial dub records in order so be it...or all my bedrock records...or all my hooj...or guidance...or greyhound...or...

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    music is music, where it came from shouldnt mater (maybe the who does a little)
    ... well said

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

IF I WANNA PLAY ALL MY TIESTO RECORDS SO... Ohh wait...

hmm...it is what it is...I see where that cat is coming from. And he does have a point. its like dj that mix only remixes and edit from the same mp3 dj pool or remixer. They usually follow the same track layout, bpm, intro/break/outro. One thing atleast for me, in my younger years I used to spin gabber hardcore and it was usually Rotterdam, Terror Trax, Dwarf Records & Baby Boom, and I did see it as kinda cheating. Where even if I didnt know the track, lets say...I knew how DJ Issac would produce tracks and how King Mathew/Bass D made there tracks. But back them I would listen to the tracks from start to finish...I would study them.

But hey, if he rocked it...more power to him.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

@keithace,
    Nice list of labels. I collect all of them. You got any mixes from one house head to another? At the OP, I don't think it's cheating at all, I do think one could be a bit more creative on the track selection side. There's lots of good labels out there, sometimes if you follow a favorite artist and their collection of tracks it leads you to other labels, which in turn lead you to other artists. So while I feel it's not cheating,I do feel it's a DJ's obligation to search a little deeper than one labels releases. That is of course if you're not making a promo mix for said label.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

I went to a club my buddy was spinning at a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure 75% of the tracks were DIM MAK...None of the people there noticed I'm sure, but to me it kind of shows lack of initiative to find new, and more original tracks, and does kind of make me feel like there is a lack of creativity

Tech Mentor

it isnt cheating, it does mean he isnt well versed in the music though. if all you are playing is 1 or 2 labels. it probably shows that he doesnt do much searching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast