New and Ready to Learn ;)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default New and Ready to Learn ;)

    Heey wassup ? The names Daniel and Im ready to learn about becoming a DJ. Can anyone tell me the basics and essentials to becoming one ? Like I said Im new to it all so anything can help.

    Lemme know ,

    --DaanielK

  2. #2
    Banhammerized theory28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,974

    Default

    look up ellaskins and briansredd on youtube. they tought me most of the stuff i know

    EDIT: you probably have to go to their older videos and ellaskins is the most helpful of the 2
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

  3. #3
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Thaanks ,

    --DaanielK

  4. #4
    DJTT Moderator Dude Jester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,370

    Default

    Stick around here mate, lots of keen teachers around here ... +1 for ellaskins, if you are just starting out his advice is invaluable. Welcome to the forums bud.
    Acer E5 i7 2TB 16GB ~ 512GB SSD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ X1 ~ DN-X1600 ~ X1 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ AT2020 MIC

    "This aggression will not stand, man."

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Stick around here mate, lots of keen teachers around here ... +1 for ellaskins, if you are just starting out his advice is invaluable. Welcome to the forums bud.
    Thaanks bro ,

    --DaanielK

  6. #6

    Default

    The only advice I can give is what helped most for me. Buy a controller that is bundled with a software like traktor 3 LE. And stalk www.beatport.com for the music you like - they have all the good tracks of each genre so you will quickly find the genre that will 'click' with you and you will find alot of joy in mixing for hours.


    Be sure to record your mixes frequently and use a portal like www.soundcloud.com to upload and get people to give you constructive critisism, it helps the learning curve become shorter and you will be mixing with your eyes closed in no time

    I started out 6 months ago and its way too much fun!


    Ohh, and try to stay away from the 'BRAND NEW controller!' threads - you will get addicted to buying new stuff WAY too easily in this business! :P

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by looneygeorge View Post
    The only advice I can give is what helped most for me. Buy a controller that is bundled with a software like traktor 3 LE. And stalk www.beatport.com for the music you like - they have all the good tracks of each genre so you will quickly find the genre that will 'click' with you and you will find alot of joy in mixing for hours.


    Be sure to record your mixes frequently and use a portal like www.soundcloud.com to upload and get people to give you constructive critisism, it helps the learning curve become shorter and you will be mixing with your eyes closed in no time

    I started out 6 months ago and its way too much fun!


    Ohh, and try to stay away from the 'BRAND NEW controller!' threads - you will get addicted to buying new stuff WAY too easily in this business! :P
    Thaanks that helped a lot

    --DaanielK

  8. #8
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    here you go...in this order...

    1. BE HUMBLE
    2. KNOW YOUR MUSIC
    3. LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE THAT CAME BEFORE YOU
    4. BE CONFIDENT

  9. #9
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,074

    Default

    and follow this...(pretty sure it's from Ben Watts' site)

    http://treehousemuzique.com/manifest...ive-gathering/

    Manifesto for a positive gathering

    Experience tells me a lot about what makes a movement, what makes an amazing night, and what induces the law of diminishing returns.

    As someone who has decidedly side stepped his local community in favor of mental health and emotional ballance in recent years, I see and hear most everyone I have known and loved over the past 10-15 years finding themselves lost with one degree of happiness or another. So I very much to catalog the points I have acquired on the subject of what we did right, and what works for the benefit of those who may wish to continue, or wash up and try something new.

    There’s no point in regret, or sloshing about in the quagmire of what used to be. The past is gone. Let it go.

    In talking with a dear friend last night he said he had been walking a path for a very long time and finally came to the end of it. I asked him what he will do now, at the end of this path? He said he wasn’t quite sure, but in a way he found it liberating. I understood and suggested he climb a tree and survey the landscape. We laughed… and then smiled because neither of us had thought of it that way before.

    Suggestions for what actually works:
    1. Have a tight group of friends who create the party, and make the music at it.
    2. Don’t have guest DJ’s (famous or locals.)
    3. Think small, humble, and honest.
    4. Stick together, no matter what.
    5. Have dinner together before the party.
    6. Be yourself, try not to play other people’s records, develop your own sound.
    7. Never talk shit about eachother. Be quick to ask the person doing so to “please shut the fuck up right now.” as soon as you can.
    8. Love the music you are playing.
    9. Evaluate your success based on how well you moved the dance floor (however small) and how effectively you communicated what it is you have to say.
    10. Don’t rely on your friends to populate your night.
    11. Let your audience fall in love with your music.
    12. Try not to let your audience know you too personally (a little mystery is a very good thing, and it’s disappointing when they find out how boring a dj really is.)
    13. Keep the door charge under $20, but keep it over $5.
    14. If there’s no door at the party, then there really shouldn’t be a “door charge”
    15. Loose lips sink ships (faster than you think)
    16. Carry your own speakers
    17. Make your own flyers
    18. Never promote your party at someone else’s party
    19. Try not to be mad, or hurt when someone wants to do what you’re doing so badly that they book your co conspirators on the same night as your party, and they take the gig. Everyone wants to spin well, and be more productive. Celebrate their success, refocus your energy on your own party.
    20. Tip the bar staff and the door person.
    21. If you use a 3rd party sound company, pay them first. Split what’s left.
    22. Every three weeks or so, with a degree of irregularity and surprise is much better than every week, every other week, or even every month.
    23. Celebrate what you have.
    24. Nevermind what you don’t have.
    25. Never give up: move the party, rename the party, keep trying different things.
    26. Do it yourself
    27. Don’t forget to say thank you.

    These virtues have gone into creating the most wonderful parties I have ever been involved in. Whenever and wherever I have let any of them slide, even with a new person, or an excited group of people who really want to help it has all fallen apart.

    That said, we arrive back at the begining… Nothing lasts forever. What’s done is done. And when it’s time to pack up and move on… Well, you better just pack up and move on.

    Hope that helps.

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    and follow this...(pretty sure it's from Ben Watts' site)

    http://treehousemuzique.com/manifest...ive-gathering/

    Manifesto for a positive gathering

    Experience tells me a lot about what makes a movement, what makes an amazing night, and what induces the law of diminishing returns.

    As someone who has decidedly side stepped his local community in favor of mental health and emotional ballance in recent years, I see and hear most everyone I have known and loved over the past 10-15 years finding themselves lost with one degree of happiness or another. So I very much to catalog the points I have acquired on the subject of what we did right, and what works for the benefit of those who may wish to continue, or wash up and try something new.

    There’s no point in regret, or sloshing about in the quagmire of what used to be. The past is gone. Let it go.

    In talking with a dear friend last night he said he had been walking a path for a very long time and finally came to the end of it. I asked him what he will do now, at the end of this path? He said he wasn’t quite sure, but in a way he found it liberating. I understood and suggested he climb a tree and survey the landscape. We laughed… and then smiled because neither of us had thought of it that way before.

    Suggestions for what actually works:
    1. Have a tight group of friends who create the party, and make the music at it.
    2. Don’t have guest DJ’s (famous or locals.)
    3. Think small, humble, and honest.
    4. Stick together, no matter what.
    5. Have dinner together before the party.
    6. Be yourself, try not to play other people’s records, develop your own sound.
    7. Never talk shit about eachother. Be quick to ask the person doing so to “please shut the fuck up right now.” as soon as you can.
    8. Love the music you are playing.
    9. Evaluate your success based on how well you moved the dance floor (however small) and how effectively you communicated what it is you have to say.
    10. Don’t rely on your friends to populate your night.
    11. Let your audience fall in love with your music.
    12. Try not to let your audience know you too personally (a little mystery is a very good thing, and it’s disappointing when they find out how boring a dj really is.)
    13. Keep the door charge under $20, but keep it over $5.
    14. If there’s no door at the party, then there really shouldn’t be a “door charge”
    15. Loose lips sink ships (faster than you think)
    16. Carry your own speakers
    17. Make your own flyers
    18. Never promote your party at someone else’s party
    19. Try not to be mad, or hurt when someone wants to do what you’re doing so badly that they book your co conspirators on the same night as your party, and they take the gig. Everyone wants to spin well, and be more productive. Celebrate their success, refocus your energy on your own party.
    20. Tip the bar staff and the door person.
    21. If you use a 3rd party sound company, pay them first. Split what’s left.
    22. Every three weeks or so, with a degree of irregularity and surprise is much better than every week, every other week, or even every month.
    23. Celebrate what you have.
    24. Nevermind what you don’t have.
    25. Never give up: move the party, rename the party, keep trying different things.
    26. Do it yourself
    27. Don’t forget to say thank you.

    These virtues have gone into creating the most wonderful parties I have ever been involved in. Whenever and wherever I have let any of them slide, even with a new person, or an excited group of people who really want to help it has all fallen apart.

    That said, we arrive back at the begining… Nothing lasts forever. What’s done is done. And when it’s time to pack up and move on… Well, you better just pack up and move on.

    Hope that helps.
    Thaanks that really help me out and got me going

    --DaanielK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •