Mixing Dubstep
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Dubstep

Default Mixing Dubstep

So I've got a VCI-100 and I've been trying to mix up some dubstep and stuff but the BPM's are all over the place and it's not been very good

How can I mix some dubstep with these erratic bpms? I usually play with house and prog house and electronic stuff so I'm very new into the world of dubstep

Thanks all
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

isn't dubstep usually at a standard 140bpm?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdog667jkt View Post
    So I've got a VCI-100 and I've been trying to mix up some dubstep and stuff but the BPM's are all over the place and it's not been very good

How can I mix some dubstep with these erratic bpms? I usually play with house and prog house and electronic stuff so I'm very new into the world of dubstep

Thanks all
    Have you set your beat grids on your own? Sometimes Traktor will analyze it at 70 BPM just hit the X2 button in the grid drop down.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Its funny il find my self constantly either doubling my Dubsteps BPM to 140 or halving it to 70 because i can put to use the effects better on different tunes to different BPM's for it to sound better or give off a cool effect while mixing different dubstep tunes together.
    Last edited by Midi Kids; 08-17-2010 at 05:24 PM.
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Dubstep is usually about 140bpm. Check out any of the bazillion threads, tutorials or youtube threads on beatgridding music.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Wizard

usually dubstep will be between 135-145bpm. if it is drastically over or under that number then try beatgridding the track on your own to see if traktor (or whatever program you dj with) analyzed it wrong.

In terms of mixing, I dabble in dubstep once in a while so im not the best person to go to for advice. That being said, like mixing any song, make sure the phrasing in on point and use buildups and breakdowns to mix between songs ( ie use the build-up from one song and mix in the second with its bass drop).

I would also recommend getting a key analyzer like mixed in key or something similar in order to mix harmonically at least most of the time. It will create very moody and sonically cohesive sets.

how i mix dubstep (keep in mind ive halved the bpm, so instead of 140 i see 70:
    on the breakdown start playing the intro of the second song (normally they're are both 32 beats long) and right when the drop happens you cut out the first song.

easy as pie.
    but you might want to do some prep work because occasionally the start of an intro might be loud or something, or vocals would over lap. stuff like that.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by theory28 View Post
    how i mix dubstep (keep in mind ive halved the bpm, so instead of 140 i see 70:
    on the breakdown start playing the intro of the second song (normally they're are both 32 beats long) and right when the drop happens you cut out the first song.

easy as pie.
    but you might want to do some prep work because occasionally the start of an intro might be loud or something, or vocals would over lap. stuff like that.
    Yeah this is how I'd do it - obviously some tracks might have different length intros or breakdowns so I sometimes have to use a loop, find one that sounds decent.

Quote Originally Posted by mistertuckshop View Post
    Yeah this is how I'd do it - obviously some tracks might have different length intros or breakdowns so I sometimes have to use a loop, find one that sounds decent.
    yeah same here i find looping in the 70 bpm range better for me as well because i tend to you my Beatmasher to loop so at 70 bpm it really makes a 4 bar loop an 8 bar loop and helps me create a nice big sample in a way which helps me create a big build up for when the new tunes drop comes in by cutting up the sample with the beatmasher and maybe even a little gater. It all really comes down to how you like to mix your dubstep and what style it is.
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

ya I hadn't properly beatgridded a few tracks. Thanks all
    and thanks for the tip about mixing some dubstep. now it's just time to practice
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast