A question about my turntables
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A question about my turntables

So I bought these second hand Stanton T-80 turntables the other day for use with timecode.

I know I need new carts because the timecode signal is rubbish, but theres something else thats bugging me.

When I'm queueing up a tune and release the record the bpm goes up about 3-5 and then the table settles down. This puts me off by about half a bar which is frustrating and im finding myself queueing with my midi fighter more often than not, to get it in time.

Im trying not to push the vinyl when I release, it doesnt seem to make a difference though.

Is ths normal for a turntable? Are these just crap TT's or does my beatmatching need more work?
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

It might be your slipmats.
    If your mats are too sticky the deck will be trying to compensate for the extra force imparted on the platter while you're holding the vinyl back waiting for your cue, as the deck will be trying to spin at whatever speed it's pitched at. So when u release the vinyl the deck is still trying to compensate for the extra force on the platter from holding it back.
    If the T80s have dots around the edge, watch them closely as you cue up to see if the platter slows down.

Youre damn right good sir!

The dots do change a fair bit.

The slipmats are pretty cheap ones from hospital records, only £6. Can you recommend any?

Could it also be that the deck doesnt have enough torque to compensate for the small pressure im putting on the vinyl? I really cant hold it much lighter.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Mentor

I'd try cutting some paper slips to sit under the mats before investing in any new 1s, there's a few videos on youtube showing how to cut either a record sleeve, plastic cover, shiny paper or grease proof paper type stuff to sit under the mats like butter rugs.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=slipmats&aq=f

I thought a m8 was taking the pi$$ when he recommended polishing the platter with something like Mr Sheen, so I was amazed at how big a difference it made on my old PDXs. As they're 2nd hand I'd give the platters a good polish too.
    Last edited by Hippie; 08-18-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added a link

^^^^
    Thud Rumble Butter Rugs!

best slipmats I've ever used.....nuff said.

Cool!

Ill probably try the free solution first, if not, butter rugs look like the way forward.

Ive just been messing with my decks and ive found that if I apply MORE pressure, with a slight flick the deck responds better, getting to proper speed in a shorter time.

butter rug lolz

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
    ^^^^
    Thud Rumble Butter Rugs!

best slipmats I've ever used.....nuff said.
    +1 Add some Frosted Plates for a little extra grip...

Yeah man I have A4 printer paper cut into thirds (one sheet under each mat) and I'm using my stock stanton mats and it's PERFECT, without the paper though, I was experiencing EXACTLY what you are. Took some getting used to as it was the opposite end of the spectrum, but it works out amazing Your tables are just compensating with more power because the mats are snagging the platter, as Hippie said, put a slick surface between those two stubborn forces and BAM...
    Last edited by DJMutagen; 08-18-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: credit where it is due!
    When we all make music, the God Spirit travels out of our bodies and we become one with each other. And for just a second, there is no war, greed, or hate in the world, just music, the celebration of life. (and usually a party, which is good too!)

Tech Guru

I just pee on my slipmats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast