New concept... Auto-Summing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New concept... Auto-Summing

I've recently decided that i don't have enough hands. So i just had this idea last night. Let's call it auto-summing. Essentially the plan is to set up the controller so that when you bring a tracks volume to full, it slightly lowers the volume of the other tracks.
    I was wondering what you all think about this???
    Is it "cheating"?

I'm going to mess around setting it up a little later today. If you have any ideas to add, just speak up and i'll see if i can implement them.
    Last edited by Str8upDrew; 08-19-2010 at 01:33 PM.

Tech Mentor

You might be able to set it so when one volume slider is at max, it auto repeats 'dec' volume on the other decks until you take the volume slider a little off max. Might require some finesse to use in a club, but it would probably work.

More hardcore: Moldover wrote custom software that does things like lower the Bass on the EQ of other tracks when a new one is added.

Tech Mentor

Not cheating at all, by the way

uhhhh...im not to sure about the cheating aspect
    but there better be an on/off because personally i dont need to turn down the other track once the other is up
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Tech Mentor

I think this might work. You'll want a temporary shift button for this feature. You hold this button (making M1=1 as long as button is held), and raise the volume fader for Deck A (normal mapping, no M1). You also have a control set to the same fader, but Controller Type as Button rather than Fader/Knob, Interaction mode set to Dec, Resolution Min, Set to Deck B, Auto-Repeat, and most importantly M1=1.

Then the volume fader for Deck A works normally, but when you hold the button, moving the fader up (or down) lowers Deck B's volume a little.

Yeah, it's not cheating. It's just being lazy! As if having Sync's not good enough, now you want auto gain control?
    Know thy music ...

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think you could code this in Bomes with global modifiers.

But why not just use autogain and your ears? The thing is that the level of the volume fader isn't going to be as universal as you want and something like this could easily decrease a track too much.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I think you could code this in Bomes with global modifiers.

But why not just use autogain and your ears? The thing is that the level of the volume fader isn't going to be as universal as you want and something like this could easily decrease a track too much.
    Because he would need two hands and two ears to do that...
    With this Super Fader he would only need 1 hand, that's the main scope, right Str8upDrew? use only one hand to do the volume faders changes?

Better then use one full hand to do your thing with a fader is to use a touch strip (SCS.3m) or a touch osc interface (for ipad or whatever) to use only one finger to do it...

Tech Mentor

I'm trying to understand this, do you mean auto-gain? Or are you talking about something that has to do when you are fading in a new song that decreases the other one automatically (ex. like a crossfader that removes the original track as soon as you begin to move it to the other side).

Yeah I think that's what he means. In the analog mixer world it would be the same as a VCF(Voltage control fader), so you don't get a jump in volume as you add another track. Makes for smoother mixing. I definitely don't see it as cheating and would be quite interested in your results.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast