Harmonic Mixing Question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default ..

Last edited by mox; 02-08-2022 at 08:15 PM. Reason: D

I would like to know that answer to this question as well. although I can answer part of it, you can figure it out in your head, but within traktor, when you raise a song which is in X key, and you raise the pitch slider a certain percentage, traktor will not show the change in key, that you have to figure out on your own, how you figure it out, I have not idea/forgot
    Setup: Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK3 x 2, A&H Xone 22, TSP, MB, Kontrol X1

Well the first clue is that it depends on the track's BPM. +/- 3% pitch on a 120 BPM track won't be the same as a 140 BPM track. Though the scale should be linear and somewhat easy to chart on a graph. Nonetheless doesn't keylock do this for you?

Tech Guru

well, make a copy of the original song, put it in Traktor, turn off key lock and bump the pitch up 3%, record the track in Traktor, and analyze both the original file and the Traktor version in Mixed In Key - see what it says.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use keylock set to HiQ inpreferences.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

That's not what Keylock does.

All it does ..is make the track's pitch stay the same regardless of the temp.

So it removes the Mickey Mouse effect when you seriously up the tempo.

It does not keep all the tracks you playing in the same key....IE...make 2 tracks be on the same key.

You still have to choose trax that are say both 7A....then use keylock....then it does not matter how much you change the tempo to get them beatmatched...as they will be keylocked at 7A. Their pitch won't change....so you won't have to do this calculation.

Well...thats how i understand it anyways!

I would still like to know whether a 7A track will still be 7A after its been upped in tempo?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

If you use keylock it should. I don't use any sort of keylock as I still only mix with CD's and vinyl and find that there is too much aliasing when using it. In order to harmonically mix without keylock you either need to mix 2 tracks that are fairly close to the same speed & are in key with each other either directly or harmonically speaking. As long as they're about the same BPM then it shouldn't matter whether you're playing them faster or slower then "nominal", they should be in key/harmony with each other. Although if you have a track that's say in the key of C and mix in one that's in the key of G, in this scenario and they're both sped up or slowed down, they no longer will be "true" C or G. Make sense or did I just really confuse?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Yeah....that's what I mean:

**Although if you have a track that's say in the key of C and mix in one that's in the key of G, in this scenario and they're both sped up or slowed down, they no longer will be "true" C or G.**

So whats the answer?

To use Keylock on your Keycoded trax so they stay in key when you DJing em?

I mean...you will have to change their tempo at some point when DJing....either up or down.

So we still need to know what the correct procedure is here.

I personally have just been selecting trax that fit harmonically and then i disregard the BPM change....

I think I am doing something wrong...

?!?!?!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

If you're using Key lock, then just select tracks that are in key with each other and mix away. If you're not then pick tracks that are in key with each other AND are very close in tempo. I personally don't have a reference to the key of any of my tracks and just mix by ear but that will change when I go all digital. I don't think you're doing anything wrong BUT I know that with most systems the further you get from a tracks true speed the more aliasing & flanging a key locked track gets. Take that with a grain of salt.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Yeah...forreal...that is how I understand it....I just don't use keylock.

I suppose what i need to know is how far one can move off BPM before the key is changed.

So I can know how much to work with.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast