Xone 2d + ableton + electribes suggestions

Default Xone 2d + ableton + electribes suggestions

To make a long story short ... I am running out of channels to work with.

Main mixer is a Xone 92
    Sub mixer is a Xone 2D
    Hardware instruments:
    1 electribe sx + 2 electribe mx
    CDJ 2000
    Kaossilotor pro

On the first 3 channels of the Xone 92, I have the main outputs from the 3 electribes. On the 4th channel I have the Xone 2D so I can still cut from any of the first 3 channels to whatever is on the Xone 2D.
    The two other AUX return channels on the Xone 92 are being used by a KP3 pro and a Pedalboard with some BOSS FX pedals. So it isnt an option to use these channels.

This leaves me with the CDJ2000, Kaossilator Pro and 3 Electribe secondary outputs to find a place to go to.

On the XONE 92, I opened the mixer up and disabled the phono preamps on the second set of inputs channel 1-4 which normally would be used for turntables. 3 of those channels are being used by a SL3 Serato scratch live in case I need to choose a deck to switch on, and then use serato for whatever reasons. I use a single MIDI FIGHTER to control all 3 decks from serato.
    The 4th phono input I dont think I would use because of the xone 2d being used.

So to come full circle again... Im running out of channels to work with.

The xone 2d has 3 stereo inputs which I now need to fit 5 sources into.
    I have no experience using the xone 2d or ableton.

Is there some way to do this with a mono signal so I can put more sources in?

Sorry if this is explained in a funky way or is confusing.
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by djfrogstar; 08-19-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typos

i would suggest getting a 12 channel line mixer for those electribes and condense them into one channel. are you using the first generation electribes or the more recent ones with 4 outputs? seriously get a line mixer for those, if there are features with the allen and heath that you find essential to mixing your drum machines try getting a line mixer with 2 auxillary sends so that you can group the types of sounds (like bass heavy or treble or whatever works for you) and then send those 2 feeds into your allen and heath

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    i would suggest getting a 12 channel line mixer for those electribes and condense them into one channel. are you using the first generation electribes or the more recent ones with 4 outputs? seriously get a line mixer for those, if there are features with the allen and heath that you find essential to mixing your drum machines try getting a line mixer with 2 auxillary sends so that you can group the types of sounds (like bass heavy or treble or whatever works for you) and then send those 2 feeds into your allen and heath
    I originally was doing just that.. but what im doing specifically with the electribes goes something like this..
    solo just one kick on electribe 1, solo on snare on electribe 2... use the cross fader to cut back and forth. So lets say I leave the cross fade just letting the kick play.. I will then unmute lets say a hi hat pattern on the channel where the crossfader isnt.. Im doing this really fast so I need the crossfader from the allen and heath and also the VCF filters. Also as well as unmuting, Im choosing instruments on the fly and sending them into the secondary outputs which need their own channel. Another example combined with the first

the kick and snare on both electribes coming from the 1st output on each unit are playing dry... the other instrument that ive sent with the secondary output will go into a pedalboard with fx.. lets say a space echo. I then want to be able to flick the XY switch to whichever side I need and bring in the wet fx of the instrument. The 2 aux send channels I have going pre fader.. so I can bring all the levels down and just play the wet signal and then be able to cut in a dry rather than mix/fade it in on top.

So in otherwords afaik line mixers dont have good crossfaders and handy swtiches to assign the channels to the crossfader.

In a few days I will reconnect all my stuff again and make a video example of how far I can get it before the channels run out... Im just in the middle of a rush job and am trying to minimalize the surface I normally have it set up on.

Thank you for your response... You confirmed what I also suspect is the only way to get everything in. Im going to search around for line mixers with good options... I need atleast 2 aux send returns and need them to accept prefader signals. And a crossfader.

Tech Student

hello,just saw this thread about ableton iv just updated to ver 8.15 and now cant drag any audio in to the rack,any ideas? please help !

here is some help...

read the forum rules
    or
    use the search feature
    or
    read the manual that came with your ableton live
    or
    start a new thread

Would it be better to have 2 xone 92s going into 1 xone 2d, or would it be better to have 2 xone 2ds going into one xone 92.

I need more channels.. and am not sure how much resources are eaten up by having 2 xone 2ds plus ableton running