any tips for mixing hiphop on vci or cdjs
    Tech Mentor

Default any tips for mixing hiphop on vci or cdjs

Hi everyone, im guessing most of you guys n girls mix a lot of electro, house etc, i was wondering if anyone in this forum mixs hiphop

I have always loved the old stuff and was wondering if anyone had tips?

would i be better off waiting to use vinyl in TSP or can it be done off my CDJs either with cd's or hooked up to TP in HID mode
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

hip hop guys usually always go for Vinyl. for street cred or something like that... I know an amazing hip hop dj though who's huge on the Quebec Hip-Hop/Rap scene and all he uses are a Macbook and a VCI-300.

Tips? Learn to scratch i guess.. Hip hop is pretty much the musical genre where scratching is most omnipresent. Lots of transistions from one song to the other sound great when they're done with scratches or turntable routines.

That's as far as i know.. other guys here will probably have better tips
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

Tech Mentor

Thanks for that, i know its scratching so i think i would need to save up for some vinyl or a controller which is good for scratching
    First Mix, have a listen you know you want to
    http://soundcloud.com/mattybruce/spr...-daddy-mixtape

Tech Mentor

Match vocals and learn word play, no scratching is needed.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Tech Guru

you can do a great hip hop session without scratching. Although it does add some flavor. The thing with hip hop is that transitions happend MUCH faster than EDM. 4-8 beats. Best thing I can tell you is to count your beats, find songs (most DJ pools that have hip hop songs post songs with a few bar intro) find songs where you can start an intro 4-8 beats before the chorus ends, hit play and transition to the incoming song when the chorus is over. You can do this all night. Add in there some 1 beat loops as you lower the volume of the outgoing song to add an echoing sounding effect. In Traktor you can do a delay -freeze, you can do back spins, hard cuts, kill low eq, etc. You can do a few things to add some spice without having to scratch. Just count your beats and you can do it with no issues on a VCI-100 and TP.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Yeah, I mix a bit of hip-hop, but don't scratch. Don't like the wicky wicky sound to be honest!
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

I play hip-hop (as well as loads of funk) and use a VCI 100 - works perfectly well, the transitions are just shorter than EDM
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers