Using two inputs on studio monitors at the same time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using two inputs on studio monitors at the same time

Quick question guys: my studio monitors have three inputs. An XLR, 1/4 inch, and an RCA.

So my question is this. Can I plug in two separate audio inputs into the studio monitors and use them both at the same time. Specifically, I am running my computer through my sound card and then into the RCA's of my monitors. I also want to use my hardware synth while playing over beats I've made on my computer to try to get ideas for songs.

In a nutshell:
    1/4 inch in: Synth
    RCA in: Audio out from computer

They each work individually, but I'm afraid to use them together. Is that okay to do?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Not sure dude. Is there not a switch to choose between different input types? If not, just try it.. Worst case the monitor breaks.. But really, how bad is that!? (lolwut)

Yes, you can use either XLR and an RCA.

or

1/4 inch, and an RCA at the same time.

Of course if you are a sound "purist" you wouldn't be using this method because frequencies.. blah blah blah.
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

If they'll work I'd say that you run very little risk of damage.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Quote Originally Posted by sj03w4t View Post
    Not sure dude. Is there not a switch to choose between different input types? If not, just try it.. Worst case the monitor breaks.. But really, how bad is that!? (lolwut)
    The thing is I want both inputs to be active at the same time, so I can use my computer to put together drum loops and then use my synth to start putting together melody lines and figure out what kind of sound I want to use.

Eventually I use all VSTs for the whole thing but it helps my workflow to be able to just be able to get ideas on the fly.

Worst case scenario and I'm screwed. I'm still paying off the monitors! :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Julio View Post
    Yes, you can use either XLR and an RCA.

or

1/4 inch, and an RCA at the same time.

Of course if you are a sound "purist" you wouldn't be using this method because frequencies.. blah blah blah.
    Alright man thanks. I'm no purist and I'm definitely not concerned about frequencies and such at the "idea" phase of my workflow.
    LamboxMusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    The thing is I want both inputs to be active at the same time, so I can use my computer to put together drum loops and then use my synth to start putting together melody lines and figure out what kind of sound I want to use.

Eventually I use all VSTs for the whole thing but it helps my workflow to be able to just be able to get ideas on the fly.

Worst case scenario and I'm screwed. I'm still paying off the monitors! :eek:

Alright man thanks. I'm no purist and I'm definitely not concerned about frequencies and such at the "idea" phase of my workflow.
    Ha! You used the word phase with frequencies but not on purpose...sorry, audio geek inside me laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox4u_6 View Post
    If they'll work I'd say that you run very little risk of damage.
    I know. I'm just kinda scared. Kind of an expensive risk to be taking!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchbox4u_6 View Post
    Ha! You used the word phase with frequencies but not on purpose...sorry, audio geek inside me laughed.
    Haha. I did. That is possibly the nerdiest thing I've heard all day, and I'm embarrassed to say I laughed as well.

(Do the words "searchin my car, looking for the product" mean anything to your sig?)
    LamboxMusic.com

do you have a dj "mixer", you could use it to mix your drum loops and synth together,

other than that use your method but run both the synth and computer at 50% max volume

50+50=100% see what i'm getting at?

I know. I'm just kinda scared. Kind of an expensive risk to be taking!

Haha. I did. That is possibly the nerdiest thing I've heard all day, and I'm embarrassed to say I laughed as well.

(Do the words "searchin my car, looking for the product" mean anything to your sig?)
    Sort of, I loved that song back in the day. That's when I first started listen to rap/hip-hop and then last year I was listening to The Cool Kids and they have a line "I'm just a teenager, with a little bit of gold and a pager" and I was like "Wow, I'm now old enough to be familiar with the samples/influences of a new generation of artists". So, I dropped that in my sig to see what people would say.

You're the first to reference the original song.

No problem.. By the way.. I have the MR8s I see you have MR5s in your sig..
    DJTechTools - The Best Online Digital DJ Resource!
    Gear: December 2010 or 1st Quarter 2011
    Music: 80s, 90s, Old School Freestyle, Club/Dance, Hip-Hop/R&B, House/Tribal, Chillout/Lounge, Latin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast