Does size really matter, how big is your library?

View Poll Results: How many songs do you have in your library

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll

12 12.63%
  • 1000+

21 22.11%
  • 4000+

16 16.84%
  • 7000+

10 10.53%
  • 10000+

13 13.68%
  • 14000+

7 7.37%
  • 18000+

4 4.21%
  • 22000+

1 1.05%
  • 27000+

1 1.05%
  • 30000+

10 10.53%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Default Does size really matter, how big is your library?

So how many digital songs do you have in your library?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    So how many digital songs do you have in your library?
    aloootttt hah it's doesn't really matter but i like to have variety in what i listen to and from different genres of music.

Over 14,000... every song I've ever owned except for a some tapes and records. It doesn't matter how big your library is as long as you've got organised in a way you can easily find the tune you want...
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

11,249... DAMN.
    I didn't even realize this until now. I play just about everything, so this includes quite a bit of different genre's. I would say it's about 30% electro and house, 25% DnB, 20% old school funk/soul, 10% top 40, 10% hip-hop, and 5% randomness (dubstep, rock, and whatnot's)

I keep all of my dj'ing tracks in there own library with sub-folders for each style, then i make playlist for sub-genre's. I find this system pretty easy for keeping my tracks organized, but i'm always curious how other people sort these massive collections.

Edit: I've got 22 more in my place keeper folder that i put all my tracks in when i first get them. Then i organize them after i set the gains, mark the keys, and setup the cues and grids in traktor.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux#13 View Post
    aloootttt hah it's doesn't really matter but i like to have variety in what i listen to and from different genres of music.
    I have always preached musical diversity and it's one of my proudest accomplishments as a parent. I've been out of the music game for 20 years though so my collection is a little puny compared to what it was back in the day. Probably 20% of mine would be considered dance music, 30% punk, 20% classic rock, 10% funk, 10% country (either classic or of the wall), 5% international/world stuff, 5% misc like christmas or otherwise themed stuff .
    Last edited by photojojo; 08-25-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: reduced dance added da funk as it deserves to mentioned on it's own
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

unless you're a mobile dj (where you are required to own pretty much everything people might ever request), for club djs, i reckon its about quality not quantity

having too large amounts of music can sometimes confuse you and make you lose focus in what you're trying to achieve in your set.
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

I have an external drive/CD library with a bunch more stuff. I'm about to remove about 50% from my collection as it stands :/
    For some reason I don't like to maintain a huge lib of songs I never play.

Tech Wizard

I think I'm somewhere around 12k songs but I probably only have 500-1000 that I play.

It's not about how many songs you have, it's how many "good" songs you have. Good being songs you like to play or like a lot.

I voted 27000+ but I have about 25,000+ edited ones (checked for completeness / quality in Adobe Audition and run through mastering / EQing if needed) and a few thousand waiting to be processed. It's a mix of many genres because I undertake dinner and dance functions as well as private parties so I need a wide range of songtypes.

To be really honest, I know (by heart) perhaps 20 % (20% might be too liberal a guess) of my songs and out of that number, I only use a few percent each night but it's always nice to surprise customers with a new tracklist daily ESPECIALLY if you're a resident DJ.
    Know thy music ...

Quote Originally Posted by ClumsyMoe View Post
    It's not about how many songs you have, it's how many "good" songs you have. Good being songs you like to play or like a lot.
    To me, good songs are those which get the crowd moving. Sometimes as a DJ, we have to go against our preferences and start throwing in really faggardy commercial stuff. Of course it always helps if YOU like what YOU're playing.
    Know thy music ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast