Playing older remixes? A bad thing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Playing older remixes? A bad thing?

I somewhat recently remember seeing a type of score sheet for a mix contest and on it one of the negatives (-1 point) was for having an old remix in the mix.

I guess I hadn't really thought of it too much before, but do other DJs look down upon playing old remixes or older songs (Like from the past few years)?

I realize it was for a contest, but it got me thinking about it. At least in my eyes if the song is a good song then it doesn't matter that its not the freshest track on the streets, unless it was maybe an older very popular club song that was just played out.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by K.LINE; 08-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.

put it this way people are still blasting 90s dance and pretty much every "great song" from the 90s has been remixed over and over,if its a classic then people are just happy to hear it as it takes them back to a good time.

on the other hand if your blasting out a remix of lady gaga week in week out then no.
    as shes on just about every music channel day in day out.

Yeah, I realize that people still loving hearing classic songs from different decades, I meant it more along the lines of not classic/big hit songs/artists. I can understand people enjoying hearing hit songs from the 90s especially if it is spiced up a little by a remix.

But I mean more in the way of say, hearing I dunno, a Bloody Beetroots song or some artist like that. Seeing that score sheet made me think "would other DJs look down upon playing an older song by 'Insert artist from the past few years'" and be like ugh this song/remix is 2 or 3 years old.

Personally, no. A tune is a tune. It's all about balance really. I think we have a responsibility to remind people of great tunes they may have forgotten as well as great tunes they haven't heard yet.

Of course if they're completely sick of it then it's probably played out for the time being.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

it all plays in context...there is nothing wrong with dropping a classic or an older mix if:

1. you havent played it in a while
    2. its dope
    3. it wasnt played out at some point

i still love playing "big love" once in a while...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

(if i hear "pushin too hard" one more friggin time)
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I agree with all of you, I feel the same way, I was just curious after reading that score sheet if other DJs felt the same way.

I especially like your thought Pizzle "I think we have a responsibility to remind people of great tunes they may have forgotten as well as great tunes they haven't heard yet." A very accurate/true statement right there. Thanks!

Tech Guru

i think it depends a lot on your style of djing.

guys who do eclectic mixing, half the game is digging up rare grooves and nostalgiac tunes and blending them with new flavours. so not only is playing older tunes forgiven, it's encouraged.

if you're doing more straight up dance genres with an emphasis on new sounds, then you're gonna wanna balance your playlist in favor of songs from the last few months or atleast within the year - with the occasional older song sprinkled in there just to add something unexpected.

i don't think there's a rule book, just what i personally expect from djs and i what i try to do myself.

one thing for certain is if you only play music from one season or one year, you end up closing yourself off to possibilities and fall into the trap of sounding like other people who are only playing the current flavors of the month - naw mean?

Tech Guru

the power of the recognizable or nostalgiac tune should never be underrated... when done right it can be an automatic crowd pleaser and make your audience's night.

Tech Guru

The great thing about dance music, well all music in general, is that it has the ability to take you back to that place where you first heard that banging tune or that awesome opening of that club or that summer anthem that just takes you back to better times. There's something about music that with the a just a few beats boom we all can picture oneself in full clarity. I love playing some great tracks that take me back. On the other side thou those same tracks may not do the same for who I'm playing for it really is all about the crowd. Who knows you may stumble upon a bunch of people who have never heard "It's a Fine day" or one of my personal faves "Voodoo Ray" know both of those songs would more than likely clear the floor if I played them in any club today but for the right group of people it would be fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast