Pioneer DJM 700 and X1 or new S4 controller - Dilemma.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Pioneer DJM 700 and X1 or new S4 controller - Dilemma.

Hi guys, looking for some advice on this one

I have an DJM 700 in the UK totally un-used (I work abroad) and when i'm abroad I use a Hercules with Traktor Pro.

Now the Hercules, in reality, aint really up to the job but I have a few gigs coming up abroad and I'm thinking of taking my Pioneer with me and buying an X1 controller to go with it.

I really like the look of the S4 though, and I'm wondering whether just to settle with the Hercules just now, and get the S4 in November.

However, that will leave me with a wasted DJM 700 that I love.

Also, what would I need for a hook up with the X1 and the Pioneer?

I have a Numark DJiO that I have never used, would I go, X1>Laptop>DJiO>Pioneer>Amp>Speakers?

Any advice, much appreciated.

Same dilemma for me...
    but after thinking about this a couple of times ....I think, a solid mixer is maybe a better option...
    I mean, softwares are constantly in evolution so controllers too...
    900 euros for a controller that will be a little bit obsolete in a couple of years (coz there will be new and better controllers/softwares for sure) is a little bit expensive !

If you have or will buy a good mixer as the pioneer...you can keep it until it dies...and only change an inexpensive controller (as the x1) in the future for controls that will fit to the new software functions...

Besides, you can find mixers in each club....and you'll not have problem to find place for a bigger controller as the s4...you'll only need to travel with your laptop + the x1 or similar

and.....I don't know about solidity of the s4...but it's plastic for sure...I'm pretty sure it's less solid than a pioneer/A&H mixer

So if you already have a djm 700 and a steel...maybe a x1 is a better choice for now.....when the s4 will come out, try it...if you really love it, then sell your djm...you could keep the x1 in addition to the s4

"Also, what would I need for a hook up with the X1 and the Pioneer?"
    A good sound card !! it depend on how much tracks you need (2 or 4)
    Last edited by <_ChRiS_>; 08-31-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by <_ChRiS_> View Post
    Same dilemma for me...
    but after thinking about this a couple of times ....I think, a solid mixer is maybe a best option...
    I mean, softwares are constantly in evolution so controllers too...
    So 900 euros for a controller that will be a little bit obsolete in a couple of years (coz there will be new and better controllers/softwares for sure) is a little bit expensive !

If you have or will buy a good mixer as the pioneer...you can keep it until it dies...and only change an inexpensive controller (as the x1) in the future for controls that will fit to new software functions...

Besides, you can find mixers in each club....and you'll not have problem to find place for a bigger controller as the s4...you'll only need to travel with your laptop + the x1 or similar

and.....I don't know about solidity of the s4...but it's plastic for sure...I'm pretty sure it's less solid than a pioneer/A&H mixer

So if you already have a djm 700 and a steel...maybe a x1 is a better choice for now.....when the s4 will come out, try it...if you really love it, then sell your djm...you could keep the x1 in addition to the s4

"Also, what would I need for a hook up with the X1 and the Pioneer?"
    A good sound card !! it depend on how much tracks you need (2 or 4)
    Great advice Chris.

I think your right, I should just keep the Pioneer and get the X1 with an audio 4.

I like the look of the S4 but what am I actually getting more? I'm worried about the thought of the plastic on it and if it's going to have any glitches.

I love the Pioneer and I already have Traktor Pro so what's the point in shelling out more money?

Was also thinking of selling the Pioneer and getting an Xone 4D but I think you have convinced me to keep the Pioneer.

Thanks for the advice.
    2 X Technics SL1210 MKII's 2 X Technics SLDZ1200's, Pioneer DJM700, MacBook, Numark DJiO, Hercules Controller.

Tech Convert

Same dilemma here. I already own the X1 and it is a great controller. I am actually thinking about getting the EKS Otus RAW. Looks solid and - most important to me - not only has it two analog outputs, but also two digital outputs. This way I can digitally connect my controller aka soundcard to a DJM800 at a festival or in a club (without the need for an external/analog soundcard).
    Last edited by Stouthart; 08-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.

And if you need a platter who can also get a Denon DN-SC2000.

I'm also in the dilemma : Kontrol S4 or DJM700 + 2 Denon DN-SC2000...

I really hope NI comes up with a single deck player as well...

Tech Convert

Personally, I would never buy a DJM700. It's not really a standard mixer. And for the same amount of money you could buy a Denon DN-X1600 WITH build-in 8in/8out USB soundcard (or the new DN-X600 - same soundcard).

Quote Originally Posted by YOGI View Post
    I like the look of the S4 but what am I actually getting more? I'm worried about the thought of the plastic on it and if it's going to have any glitches.
    I love the Pioneer and I already have Traktor Pro so what's the point in shelling out more money?
    ha ha, i think the same about the S4 mixer....! mashine and x1 are so cool and look pro.........I really don't understand why they made this transparent plastic for the s4...perfect for scratchs, finger marks...and light reflekts ...

Besides, the x1 seems to have more cue controls...that you'll miss with the s4....

Beyond the quality, I think it really depends on what kind of dj you're, what you really need for your dj style....I mean for example techno/house/trance dj don't really need jog wheels nor sample functions...but more cue controls that we miss with the s4...if you don't need jog nor sampler, why pay for that ?

and....if i understood, there is NO difference between traktor pro and traktor pro s4....
    It's the same software with exactly the same functions (sampler will come via update for traktor pro)......the only "difference" is a better stability/hid control for the dedicated s4 controller...that's why it's bundled with it... it's a selling proposition...so if you already paid for traktor pro....yeah you'll pay a second time...

buisness is buisness...

we always think we need the last new controller, the last car or tv model...that's the aim of the publicity...create new artificial needs

I'm not against new products...I just say it needs reflection...and for sure to Try Before Buy...

The S4 can be a good value if you have nothing (no mixer, no soundcard, no controller, no traktor pro...) or want to sell all your material to go for an all in one solution....but I think you'll never have the same built quality of a A&H or pioneer mixer and it will not be easy to setup the s4 in a club...so for now i stay on my opinion, a solid mixer + an inexpensive controller like the x1 that i could change 2 or 3 years later without spending an another 900 euros...and i'm pretty sure there will be an X2 (with jog or sampler controls) soon ^^

I'll try this new toy yet and see if i'm right.......always try before buy
    Music, music, music....

Tech Guru

In my opinion I think the S4 will hardly become obsolete in a couple years. The VCI 100 has been a great controller for quite a few years now and people are still buying them today.

But it is true it depends on preference. I for one would rather have just a pure digital setup. I tried external mixing but I find that soemtimes you end up at a club and they have a shitty mixer. Its nice being able to have the same setup wherever you go, And the fact that everything is hands on, meaning all the controls are together in a small enough space that you can do multiple things at once. Also the fact that it seems like its layed out very good for the software. Thats just my preference...
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Convert

I agree with what Chris said. IMO the S4 will be great for use at home and as a standalone controller. However I don't see my self take the S4 to a club or festival, mobility being one concern, durability being another.

Tech Student

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I've been using a DJM-700 with a X1 + TSP (replacing my 2x 800mk2's) on my last 3 or 4 gigs and it's a really nice setup. If you're a house/techno/trance DJ i really don't think you'll use most of the features on the S4 as it's clearly designed towards turntablist style miksing and more creative ways of mixing samples and loops. You could ofcourse incorporate that into a house/techno set, but I doubt most ppl do and usually makes their mashups/edits in advance.

As for mobility, once i actually used just the X1 without a mixer. Downloaded a custom mapping to it so it replaced the effects with control of the 3 band EQ and the buttons as kill switches... Worked just perfect and didn't have to touch my laptop once during the whole set. You don't look that cool when using the X1 instead of a pair of decks, but hey, what comes out of the speakers is what matters.

And regarding the 700 not being a standard club mixer, it's still a pioneer and it's very similiar to the 800. Main difference is the lack of Color Effects on the 700, rest of it is pretty much exactly the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast