Intel i7 multi-threading beast ... Does it apply to music apps??

Default Intel i7 multi-threading beast ... Does it apply to music apps??

Hi everyone,

I've recently been doing alot of research into building another computer system to upgrade the one I built 5 years ago that cost me a fortune and now would cost pennies in comparison.

I came across some info talking about the new Intel Core i7 processors and how they really excel in multi-threading [as opposed to single threading like games] applications ... One of the programs mentioned that could really benefit as a multithreading app is Auto CAD and other 3D rendering programs.

I was just curious as to if anyone out there had any idea if our audio applications like cubase , traktor, ableton , ect ... are single thread or multi-thread applications?

The only piece of info I have to plug into this is that , apparently, is you're running single thread programs its all about having the highest GHZ rating in your cpu [IE: amd athlon 64 3.6ghz]. Where-as with multithreading its all about having additional "cores" , dual core, quad core , ect , especially super effecient ones like those in the new i7 series cpu's from Intel...

BUT if I'm not running multi-thread apps than ... I ... dont ... give ... a ... fuck
    Last edited by metaverse; 11-21-2008 at 05:38 AM.
    All we ever have is now ...

Ableton uses multi-threading so it would work very well with this type of architecture.
    FL studio has some multi-threading features but it could be better.
    Cubase i dont use so i have no idea about that one.

To be honest i am not sure if Traktor Pro is multi-threaded or not i havent looked that far into the achitecture just yet.

There are definantly advantages to running music software in multi-theaded applications.

The i7 series processors are pretty sexy, i have a friend who has been waiting a year for these chips to come out before buying himself a new computer.

Hey bento ,

I've yet to get that laptop issue down but a friend of mine just randomly gave me an old HP desktop he had kicking around so I can still get my .net fix

What are some good basic rules of thumb to follow when trying to figure out if an app is multithread or not ?

Google "*application name* multithreading" and start reading.

Heres an example, Ableton Multithreading:
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ab...ient=firefox-a

Also usually it pays to check the forum for each of the audio programs you use and search for threads on multithreading.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 11-21-2008 at 07:07 AM.

I'm sure it may be important to have headroom for ableton but as it stands i don't find traktors requirements that high. Whether Traktor Pro supports multi threading or not - it doesn't take that much to run and a decent dual core system doesn't cost a lot.

It's actually a very beautiful thing that Traktors requirements falls into our hardware capability range so easily.

I'm not so sure about dual chained FX units running 6 FX on both decks plus the low/high pass filters at the same time!

Tech Wizard

cubase SX (>2.0) also supports multiple cores quite good, as do the latest versions of logic.

but as Wuz said, i dont see the need for traktor. maybe by the time they include video DJing (see scratchworx) but right now?

btw: how many actual cores will the first i7s have? couldnt find any info besides the GHz and that they have multi-threading again...
    Last edited by weasel79; 11-21-2008 at 12:56 PM.

Tech Wizard

metaverse, where did you get the idea that games don't need multi-threading?

Also, Core i7 has nothing on the raw power offered by modern-day GPUs. I'd really like to see NI accelerate Traktor with OpenCL, whenever it becomes available. That would be very interesting.

@ Bento - well besides the obvious LOL. I spoke to someone who mentioned the best way would be to open up task manager on a multi-threading machine and take it from there. But yeah google is ,99% of the time, my starting point for any research on anything I do ... Of course ...

@ Wuz ... agreed on both ends ...

@ Weasel - check this out:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Leake...ap-93093.shtml

I believe they have 4 and the next generation will be 6 cores ...

@ EULA - I didn't mean all games. I meant more along the lines of minesweeper and stuff like that LOL. Apologies ... And yeah , I agree , without a proper video card the cpu really doesn't mean shit. OpenCL , once everyone jumps on board and supports it is going to be insane. I just hope that i'm still able to enjoy the coming revolution in technology by the time it hits. Between 64bit OS' , multithreading CPU's/code and the openCL - things are looking good

thanks guys

Tech Guru

New games need multithreading more then nearly any other app.. other then 3D software.

Cant see why you would need MT for Traktor...

Ableton on the other hand would <3 it.... I cant wait to get a Quad-core MacBook Pro... whenever it is that they come out.

Theres different ways to implment multithreading, take FL studio for example it is multithreaded however its effects engine runs on one thread, that is to say that all of your effects(which can be VERY cpu intensive) are all loaded onto a single thead. So while yes it is multithreaded, the way it is mutlitheaded plays a part too and thats why its best to look at programs on a case to case basis. Google is your friend