Time to make a tough decision
    Tech Mentor

Default Time to make a tough decision

DJ Gear or Music Production Gear?!?!?

I've decided to spend some money on new gear but have to decide whether to spend it on music production stuff (Ableton, perhaps a MIDI keyboard or Operator) or DJ stuff, namely a new controller to replace my disintegrating Numark Total Control (aka the VCI-100 SE).

Buying the new controller will help me make money whereas I'm not going to make anything with my music but on the other hand, I could just deal with my failing Total Control and then I could buy Ableton...

Advice?
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say VCI, you can get a bare bones Ableton setup later on.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Well, what do you find more fun? DJing or producing, just go with your passion, brah!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDeLarge View Post
    Well, what do you find more fun? DJing or producing, just go with your passion, brah!

+10000

I produced for years....almost forgetting the DJ aspect and i was not happy.

I stopped about 3 years ago now.

I love performing and DJing....sitting in the studio....is killer....but I was too hard on myself and would get depressed if I could not get certain aspects of my sound right.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Guru

how bout getting a bit of both? Like a midi keyboard for producing with a traktor mapping?

Note: I do not know if it is any difficult to switch between a traktor mapping and a regular production mapping on a keyboard.

Just my thoughts.
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

^
    What he said.
    You can pick up an Oxygen 8 pretty cheap, use ean's mapping for traktor; and use it regularly for production.

Ive gone with a hybrid set up. Using Xone 92 and xone 2d and ableton setup with the bridge and serato. 3 electribes all wired in and can get the best of both worlds... however... mobility is an issue for anything outside of a local thing.

If your producing stuff.. then you have a nice way of making special tracks you can dj with alongside the mp3s of other peoples music. Im not using ableton in a arrangement way.. just routing my audio and using the fx.

Tech Mentor

hey cheers for all the advice guys, I think I'm going to have to go with the VCI-100 as I don't think I could survive without my jog wheels but yes, perhaps later, when I'm braver, I could move to a more hybrid setup
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones