(fear my mspaint skills)

Equipment is:
    1x powered usb hub (A)
    1x APC40 (B)
    2x cdj400s in hid mode (C)
    1x djm400 (D)
    1x macbook pro (E)
    1x yamaha receiver (F)

Currently using an Aggregate Audio device via sound setup to play Decks A and B out from Traktor into my mixer, then out to the receiver. Works just fine.

What I would like to accomplish is playing Decks C and D as well, to hold a solid kick for when I need it, a sample, something, but I am feeling limited with only two decks at the moment.

Is what I am trying to do possible with my current setup? Do I need Soundflower / Jack, or another piece of hardware? What is the best / cheapest (free-est) way to hook it up so that I can get 4 tracks going with the above equipment?

Thanks in advance,
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

Did you thinked about an iPad or something with touch osc ?
    It can give you the versatility that you want for your setup, and you will be able to change the layout (OSC) everytime you need to...
    Or a SCS.3 System maybe...

I have an iPad with TouchOSC, and OSCulator installed on the MBP. Would you mind elaborating how it would help in this scenario please?

bump for the other crowd

if this is a stupid question, please let me know :/

use tocuh osc to control decks c and d

a few problems i see.

first, you do not have an external sound card. now i understand that you are using the cdjs in HID mode and using the built-in soundcards on the cdjs as an aggregate device, and this is all good, only problem is that it will only work with 2 decks, since you only have 2 sets of outputs. (and mixing externally means you need an output per deck)

second of all, since your mixing externally, you cannot mix anymore than 2 decks with the djm400. if you wish to add more decks, you can either get a mixer with more channels or ditch the djm400 altogether and mix internally. those are pretty much the only solutions for your set up i can think of

where is the audio from decks C and D being routed through though?

i might have this set up wrong, but my settings are like this in audio midi setup

and in traktor, selecting the agg device

these are the only options i have for routing - left and right for cdj A, and agg dev 2 and 3 for cdj B.

but i wasnt having any luck routing decks C and D anywhere that played sound... not exactly sure how to do that, so im not sure how using the ipad as another controller would allow that to happen. i feel like im missing something basic.

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    where is the audio from decks C and D being routed through though?
    this is exactly my point. you dont have a soundcard with enough outputs to rout them through...

so the only way to get audio out of decks c and d is to mix internally or get a soundcard with 4 outputs (or a combination of soundcards that you can create an aggregate device with 4 outputs with)

and if you choose the latter option, your then faced with the mixer problem i described above

Quote Originally Posted by the shmobletons View Post
    a few problems i see.

first, you do not have an external sound card. now i understand that you are using the cdjs in HID mode and using the built-in soundcards on the cdjs as an aggregate device, and this is all good, only problem is that it will only work with 2 decks, since you only have 2 sets of outputs. (and mixing externally means you need an output per deck)

second of all, since your mixing externally, you cannot mix anymore than 2 decks with the djm400. if you wish to add more decks, you can either get a mixer with more channels or ditch the djm400 altogether and mix internally. those are pretty much the only solutions for your set up i can think of
    sorry, didnt refresh the page when i posted my response to casso. thanks.

kinda figured my situation was headed in that direction, but wasnt sure if there was a way to piggyback an audio signal from deck C back through deck A while it was playing to give me the opportunity to add another track.

now im concerned that i dropped a lot of money and really limited myself... wasnt sure what steps i wanted to take and now im starting to get more of a direction planned out.

thanks again,