Which DJ mixes have pushed boundaries?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Which DJ mixes have pushed boundaries?

Hullo!

I've been thinking a lot about mixtapes recently, I'm looking for inspiration and I wondered if people had any recommendations for mixes that, in their opinion, really pushed the technical and conceptual boundaries of a DJ mix?

As a starter, the first things that popped into my head were:

Coldcut - 70 Minutes of Madness

The eclecticism of acts like Coldcut have helped imbue a sense of freedom in me. The way the disparate elements are seamlessly woven together, particularly given the technology available at the time (1995), makes this a real journey.

Richie Hawtin - Closer To The Edit, Transitions

Personally important as it these mixes were my first real taste of minimal techno. I know Hawtin's a controversial figure to many but I find his adoption and application of technology an inspiration. I hadn't heard of anyone chopping tracks into loops and individual hits on a computer in order to combine them with full tracks as a mix in this way.

Kid Koala - Scratchcratchratchatch

I was big into scratching/turntablism in my youth and this stood out because its emphasis is on entertainment and listenability rather than technical prowess - the man had a creative vision! Also important for me becasue it's almost a multi-tracked series of sketches rather than a seamless blend, which challenged my idea of a mix at the time. The offbeat humour, lo-fi charm and eclectic style still make this very listenable today.

Any thoughts and recommendations from any genre are most welcome!

Thanks!

mine. im a beast. that is all.

ok srs time: ive always loved dj markski's stuff, i think its because i started listening to his mixes at the age of 5... in fact, he(not personally, im talking about his stuff. i dont know tthe guy) is the reason im djing right now to begin with

but he lost his touch as far as i can tell
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

well you brought up one of my favorites Richie Hawtin but I would go a step further back to "DECKS, EFX & 909". This was his first real studio attempt at sampling, looping and using a drum machine in a full on techno/minimal techno dj mix. It was so far ahead of its time its set the standard for all minimal techno and techno sets since IMO.

Personally don't have any real favourites, I listen to all mixes i get sent and it's more down to the playlist rather then the style of mixing, not a huge fan of mashups as I like to hear the tune as it was made, but if picking people then it's going to be Derrick May and Laurent Garnier both of these I have seen play the End years gone by, possibly DJ Hype way back in the time and Jazzy Jeff those have to be some of the guys i have enjoyed most but rarely for their skills more their selection, admittedly with Jazzy it's all down to him being the daddy of turntabalism from what i was a lad

I really like the Twelves mix--The twelfth hour. not sure if it pushed boundaries but its the only mix that i've listened to several times the whole way through.

Tech Guru

Z-Trip & DJ P - Uneasy Listening

DJ Food & DK - Now, Listen!

The Chemical Brothers - Brothers Gonna Work It Out

C2C & IE Merg - Pete Tong's Essential Mix

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BestLegsinHD View Post
    I really like the Twelves mix--The twelfth hour. not sure if it pushed boundaries but its the only mix that i've listened to several times the whole way through.
    great mix

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    DJ Food & DK - Now, Listen!

The Chemical Brothers - Brothers Gonna Work It Out
    +1 inspirational stuff.

Not so much a mix but an comp album that made me want to play beats and breaks.

Ninja Cuts: Flexistentialism (disc 2: Scratchmological Waxploitation)

Erwtenpeller - war of the worlds
    He managed to take the audio book war of the worlds and mixed it with dubstep. Text vs. Music vs. Awsomeness!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Guru

Mine!

No for real tho I like deadmau5's mixes, Not any specific one I just like how he molds his mixes element by element, pretty inspirational stuff.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast