PC or Mac

Thread: PC or Mac

Tech Wizard

Default PC or Mac

right it seems the advice is was given of nag the wife and she'll let you buy a mac on here actually worked! I've been given the green light to get one, which of course is an awesome day. But i'm starting to think is the mac the best way forward, or could i get as much bang for my buck elsewhere with a normal laptop. i've been loking at sony vaio's and must say i'm not the most tech savy person around so looking for some advice really. Pros and cons for wach. I'll be running traktor and looking for a really stable platform to play out on in bars etc, so really performance and reliability is the main thing. i'm also planning on hooking myself up with some production software and getting on that case. so any advice, warnings or whatever are welcome.

i'm currently rocking a dell inspiron 1525 with vista and find it runs well, but i really just want to upgrade really!!

Tech Wizard

i should point out as the wife is a teacher we'd get a nice discount so would be looking at a macbook pro.

Use the search and

really, it's just personal preference. If you wanna keep rocking the PC, that's fine for DJ-ing. Plenty of others do it. If you want to switch to a Mac, then that's fine do. I use a mac and it's great but I'm sure there are other on this forum that rock a PC just as well. There's a certain point where getting a better computer is overkill. Just make sure that the computer you buy does have the necessary requirements to run Traktor without any hitches
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

How much would the mbook pro be then?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jdog667jkt View Post
    How much would the mbook pro be then?
    would be about £900.

by the way link to you soundcloud page doesnt seem to work dude.

you will have fewer concerns and you will be able to spend more time playing and less time tinkering with a mac.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

oh ya thanks for the heads up. i changed my url so i'll have to change my sig

A Mac will always be reliable, I've bought my iMac in 2004, and I use it at home, it never crashes and I'm using it as my personal computer aswell. If you are making an investment a Mac will always be low-maintenance, if you want to get a PC for djing, what's interesting is the price, but I hardly suggest not to connect it to internet, as you wont be needing a firewall, and an antivirus and I'd say to use it ONLY for djing, that way you will reduce your change of BSOD or crashes and glitches.

As my personal experience I've been using PCs with Fruity Loops for a long time, I bought myself a fast track pro to record my guitar and I had to unplug it and re-plug it once a day because it was starting to glitch or it would start making a noise instead of playing the music. As soon as I switched to the mac it never encoutered again, I am even using 2 audio interface at the same time and never had any problems.

Just to share my experience, for audio, producing or djing, a Mac will be easier to use but you need to pay the price. A PC will do the job but you will need to be really careful and will be high-maintenance.

Cheers
    My gear: iMac, Traktor, Xponent, iPad and alot of fun

Tech Mentor

Considering most of the core hardware is identical, and w7 is just as stable of kernel as OSX, run dual boot if you are that worried.

The whole mac/pc debate needs to end. The real argument is OSX vs Windows, and now their GUI is pretty much identical, and the Kernels are both very stable, so it boils down to personal preference.

BTW do yourself a favor and get rid of vista that would be a huge upgrade right there.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TABS View Post
    Considering most of the core hardware is identical, and w7 is just as stable of kernel as OSX, run dual boot if you are that worried.

The whole mac/pc debate needs to end. The real argument is OSX vs Windows, and now their GUI is pretty much identical, and the Kernels are both very stable, so it boils down to personal preference.

BTW do yourself a favor and get rid of vista that would be a huge upgrade right there.
    totally agree, but as the other half has given me the green light to buy a new lappy i'm gunna go from broke and get something new. she can have the old vista laptop to go on facebook or whatever nonsense she does!