Mixing and the perfectionist.... to pefect or not too perfect?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Mixing and the perfectionist.... to pefect or not too perfect?

I've been in a little slump lately, haven't finished any mixes and trashed the ones I've worked on. I've been feeling like lately if it isn't flawless it's not worth it. I know many say that it's never going to be perfect and a little human element sounds good, but I guess I'm just striving for a little too much, especially since I haven't been back in the game very long.

Does anyone else share this frustration? What are your thoughts on the matter?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I used to, then I started to hear little mistakes in others mixes and said fuck it. Maybe you need to make an adjustment or something? Change the way you mix so it's a little different?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Guru

yep, that's why i focus making studio mixes instead of live mixes now.

what i can do live is not bad, but there are always atleast a couple imperfections. i figure that if i'm recording at home, might as well take advantage of all the tools available to me - not to mention the opportunity to record several takes of say one transition and then choose the best one to use.

dont beat yourself up about it. I find that i just need to put in more time when i am in a slump. Instead of picking tracks out as you play... Choose a bunch you really like and then arrange them in a playlist till the progression is really good. Them practice mixing them in that order but find the mixes that work...whatever way you need to. Since you using controller...you now have many many ways to transition. For me...when i put the work and effort in i usually get gold back. All my mixes over the years i can still listen to and really enjoy them all myself. I like hearing what i did...to re affirm my self confidence. What do you find thats going wrong? It could be your work method.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I say try completely free styling it...then planning a detailed mix and see what is better.

Im learning with me at least....a straight freestyle jam session gives great results or at least ideas for you to expand on. As Alec Baldwin would say: "A.B.C." ...Always Be reCording...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WCcKIkMp8Y
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

well... my 2 cents... are that... only genius will be seen or noticed from imperfection. No one will notice something or remember it if its so perfect and flawless. as stated above the live mixing will get you those things you can later bring back into a studio session.. But without it... you lose the bigger picture when trying to find something that is working or not in a studio scenario. It just my opinion, but the moment you set yourself up for studio ear fatigue, you will stray from the mark, and in some cases it will be for the better, but in others you will want to move on to other ideas or just not get it out the same way.
    Id rather hear 10 mixes from somebody that try things out which I will mabey have never heard before compared to that 1 mix that is so perfect just because its pulling off whatever tricks that everyone knows is perfect.
    What Im trying to say is the more you try and make the perfect formula the less it sounds original..

I'd stick to live mixing. My best memories of mixing are when something totally awesome happened during a mix that I wasn't expecting.

Tech Wizard

It depends what the purpose of the mix is for. As a promoter i prefer people to send me live mixes so that I can get a true picture of how they are going to play at my night. If theres a couple of minor mistakes but they are generally decent then that is perfect for me. If someone sends me a mix thats totally perfect all the way through and an obvious edited studio thing, how can that give me a true representation of how they will be live?

I would say keep studio edited mixes for those being sold in the shops and things along that line!
    ::: DJ (House/Deep/Techno)
    :::
    Percussionist

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    I say try completely free styling it...then planning a detailed mix and see what is better.

Im learning with me at least....a straight freestyle jam session gives great results or at least ideas for you to expand on. As Alec Baldwin would say: "A.B.C." ...Always Be reCording...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WCcKIkMp8Y

Yeah....freestyle the bunch of trax you really like and you will find the sweet spots.

Then use that to put together something shiney.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I like hearing a flaw or two per hour... shows that the computer is not doing all the work. That being said, I have a pretty dope 90 minute mix I did and never released b/c I dropped a track in one the 15th beat and not 16th. I should just put the damn thing out there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast