*flamesuit on* What is a midi-fighter
    Tech Wizard

Default *flamesuit on* What is a midi-fighter

As every normal person would, I checked out the site for the midi-fighter:

http://techtools.myshopify.com/colle...ighter-diy-kit

What really caught my attention were the colourful arcade style buttons (a gamer here). I'm like yay, I love pressing things, and even better because music comes out of it.

After watching the tutorial, I realized there weren't any "turntables" be it digital or vinyl, just a mixer.

I am curious how this thing works and what purpose does it serve?
    As of now, it looks really confusing because those buttons aren't labeled at all, and if I were to ever own one and someone flipped that console 180 degrees, I wouldn't even know the difference. All I know is that certain buttons jump to certain points in the track.

Is it something to invest in down the road? My styles isn't really about scratching or making that "wikka wikka wikka wak" sound. Moreso making a long mix of songs (sorta like a Gareth Emery Podcast)

Bottom line is that, I really want one of these bad boys to play with. But is it for me?

It's a MIDI controller, fully customizable. You could program each of those buttons to do whatever you want. So you could use one of the premade mappings (like the cue point one) or you could make your own and tell the buttons to control any parameter your software allows.

I don't know that the Midi Fighter is so useful for long mixes...I see it as a better tool for cool controllerist routines and tracks. I'd look into an all-in-one controller like the VCI-100 first if I were you.
    Balls of Steel
    DJ/Producer
    SoundCloud | Twitter | Website

if you bought one you would end up figuring out what all the buttons do just like you figure out what the notes on the piano do except theres only 16 of these and they can be different colours :P you would know if it someone turned it about because the usb cable comes out the back haha, vci 100's would be better off for mixing midi fighters are mainly for cue points and effects kinda thing, in conclusion for longer styled mixes you'd go for the vci or a similar controller or the other side of the spectrum some cdj's or some technics and a mixer, but a midi fighter and a mixer could be quite a cheap setup with the midi fighter controlling transport but its all personal preference. if you've got any questions on djing in general just inbox me

yeah its not really worth it unless you are planning on doing a lot of beat juggling. As cielomobile said, its more for controllerist routines, so unless you plan on jumping around cue points a bunch it's prob not for you...although you're right, they do look cool :P

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I see what your saying but i got one for no other reason that its fun and looks wicked. I dont do all that routine stuff. Ive got at least 6 other controllers and the MF is just another addition to play with.

I bought one 2nd hand and bought a new top plate and buttons.
    Just put it together today (pics up in the DJTT Gear thread soon).

Its fun.

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    yeah its not really worth it unless you are planning on doing a lot of beat juggling.
    I totally disagree with you. Using the MIDfighter for the regular mixing and it is ace!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

Thanks for all your insightful replies.

@DJMilk3y, I'll def inbox you from now on haha. I can tell my noobness is pissing off the general public XD

Nothing wrong with asking questions mate. We're all noobs to one degree or other
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "