2 Traktor DJ's always make it on time?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default 2 Traktor DJ's always make it on time?

Hello DJTT

My friend and i wanted to do a live set together soon and we were wondering how we can hook up our traktors together?

kind of like Chus & Ceballos or like Speedy J & Chris Liebing

heres an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHPLFPMintM

but we want to do it with 2 traktors
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

maximal minimal

I'd expect this subject would of been well covered some where in the past on the forum. Plus I'm pretty shore there's a post about syncing to external source's on the blog too, both worth searching.
    But here's what you need to do.

1: Choose which computer will be the master, this will be the computer sending the midi clock signal

2: Make a connection, you need a 5 pin midi cable to send/receive midi clock and hardware that supports it to plug it in to, like the Audo 8. Plug into the MIDI OUT of the master computer, and then plug in to the MIDI IN to the computer being slaved.

3:On both computer's open Traktors preference's, click on 'control manager', then 'add', and choose 'GENERIC MIDI' from the drop down menu. Now simply make sure both IN-PORTS and OUT-PORTS are set to ALL PORTS.

4: Now with JUST the master computer only, open the 'MIDI Clock' page inside Traktors preferences and activate the 'Send Midi Clock' box. The 'Midi Clock Sending offset' has to be fiddled around with a bit, but I find around 35 ish works for my set up.

5: Get a beatgrided tune playing on the master computer, and hit the play/pause butoon in Trakors clock window. (Traktors clock window in standard set up found under Fx units 1 & 3, top left hand side). If your using an Audio 8 with the master computer, the Midi Out light will start flashing. Equally the Midi In light will start flashing on the receiving Audio 8.

6: Now with the computer that is being slaved, go to Traktor's clock window, find the CLOCK MASTER and set it to 'EXT' (external) and then simply hit the 'Sync' button with in the Clock window. The Tempo display should be going crazy now, it'll quickly settle down and match the tempo of the master computer. Now you ready to go!

Above is the most basic way to sync up Traktor. By adding another Midi cable from computer to computer, It's pos to make both masters or slaves as and when. With that I'd suggest setting up midi controls to swap over who is the master. Plus it's also a good idea to play around with Internal and External mode for the master computer.
    Many issues can pop when mixing in sync with another Traktor, it really isn't as simple as most may think, a good work flow is needed. There is a number of advantages, mainly fx staying perfect with one another.

It's rare I practice by my self, I have sooooo much more fun just taking turns with me fellow dj's. But after a lot time playing around with linking up, I prefer to ditch all the above and do it the old way, set up at your desired tempo's and stick to that speed, I feel you lose a certain amount of freedom linking up Traktors.

For me linking up Traktor via midi clock really excels when paired with other hardware/software. The best results so far is with my friends NI Maschine, we set that as the master, plug that in to my Korg Zero4, which then carries the clock signal in to Traktor = the sampler and the Fx on the zero4, plus every thing within Traktor stay's perfectly in time with his Maschine.
    Last edited by Dubba Dutch; 09-07-2010 at 02:46 AM.

It's rare I practice by my self, I have sooooo much more fun just taking turns with me fellow dj's.
    Word. This is fun as shit.

look in the faq sticky at top of general discussion forum (link in bottom of my sig)

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Anyone know what stands they have their Maschines on.
    They arent Crane Stands. Crane Stands have rounded bars.
    They arent Magma stands...

???

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Anyone know what stands they have their Maschines on.
    They arent Crane Stands. Crane Stands have rounded bars.
    They arent Magma stands...

???
    wobbly ones

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    wobbly ones
    Cool. do you have the web address...

Oh here it is:

www.wobbly-ones.com

fnar...
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 09-07-2010 at 08:12 AM.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    I hadn't seen that before. learned a few things.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

It's rare I practice by my self, I have sooooo much more fun just taking turns with me fellow dj's.
    this is one of the few big drawbacks of digital djing.

it was so much easier to just go to a friends house and throw down some vinyl together for an instant party.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast