Need a DJ coach.
    Tech Convert

Default Need a DJ coach.

I'm looking to pay the right individual for their time, enthusiasm and willingness to share their love of DJ'ing and expertise with DJ technology.

I'm an established wedding DJ who has a few tricks of his own, but I think it's time to stretch my skills and expose myself to new ways of doing things. I'm very interested in the way that controllerism could be applied to social/private DJ'ing, which in-itself is a mashup of styles and genre.

Currently dabbling with M-Audio Torq, I think Traktor might be my next platform and could really use some help getting up the learning curve as well as having the benefit of some critique and inspiration.

Like I said - I am willing to pay for this, but also have a lot to offer the right individual in terms of experience and advice if there is interest in learning what it takes to work in the social/private DJ world.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, but wouldn't necessarily be troubled if someone wanted to do sessions via Skype or other technology. I'm open to anything that works.

Get in touch. Let's talk.

Thanks!

If you want to learn about traktor, and are willing to spend money, buy the Traktor Bible, it will help you a lot. After you finished it, see if you still need a "tutor." My girlfriend got me my Traktor Bible, and even the chapters that made me think "I know this already" taught me something new.
    MBP 13" - Kontrol S4 - nanoKontrol - DHJ-500 - Hercules DJ Console MK1
    Find me on: Facebook, Soundcloud
    Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hi Karlos! I have a lawnmower, do you like grapes?

Tech Convert

Thanks, Wicked - I definitely will check out the Traktor bible to help me out with the nuts and bolts - though I am still keen to see if I can find the right coach.

Honestly, I learned everything on my own. Check out Ean's videos if you want to learn Traktor. There are plenty of free resources online. Sure you could find a friend/DJ who will teach you all the tricks.

Basic ideas are not too complicated (musically speaking)--it just takes practice.
    BlackBook, MidiFighter, Traktor Kontrol S4, AIAIAI TMA-1, Raw Passion

Tech Convert

Thanks Bucky -

I scour the 'net, I watch the videos, and I pick up lots of great tips, tricks and wisdom. My desire to find a "coach" for want of a better word is something that I've arrived at after a good deal of deliberate thought.

"Learning Traktor" is probably the least of my goals in this regard. I am casting my net widely - here at DJTT and other places in search of exactly what you described: A friend/DJ who can teach a few tricks. I will most definitely take care of the practice. I do it all the time.

I've looked into the DJ Schools. Not what I'm looking for. The world of wedding DJ's is with very few exceptions a barren wasteland.

DJTT is a repository of really smart, talented, thoughtful people. I appreciate the suggestions, and I hope nobody minds that I might drop the same message up here from time to time until the right situation comes along.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Next time don't phrase it as looking for a coach, that might be putting some people off. just post where you live and see if any body wants to hook up for a little jam session. If you can teach each other stuff then that's great. . Why not shoot for getting some club gigs? Your already experienced and probably know more than your giving yourself credit for.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I'm in Monterey/Seaside, if you're ever in the area, we could meet up and I'd show you my bag of tricks, steal some of yours (if you don't have any, I like fried chicken), everyone wins!

Tech Convert

I'm not entirely sure why the word "coach" might put someone off, and it does seem to fit what I'm describing. Maybe by next time I will have thought of something else. As for club gigs, I think it's a whole different arena - private events are what I do well and give myself plenty of credit for that - and the fact that I am always looking for ways to improve.

Nada - feel free to give me a call 408 three seven six 4001. Chicken and beer it is.
    Last edited by mojoworkin; 09-14-2010 at 07:19 PM.