I really need to stop faffing about with Traktor and buying tunes and do a mix!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I really need to stop faffing about with Traktor and buying tunes and do a mix!

Does anyone else find they spend ages buying new tunes and then working on setting up their controller and traktor and just dont do enough mixing! I find the second i switch traktor on I start tinker rather than mixing!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I definitely spend more time digging for tunes than mixing, but when I sit down to do a mix that's what I do. I've got the latest DJTT mapping and have pretty much settled on just using it like it is and don't do much tinkering so that may explain why that is.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    I definitely spend more time digging for tunes than mixing, but when I sit down to do a mix that's what I do. I've got the latest DJTT mapping and have pretty much settled on just using it like it is and don't do much tinkering so that may explain why that is.
    I think the fact I've recently switched the main genre I spin means I'm really digging for new tunes all the time and finding new tunes I really like!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I go through spurts. I'll just mix and record and promote, and then I'll disappear and code the shit out of stuff. Now I'm getting to the point where I want to do both
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

no, infact quite the opposite, i really need to get back to digging for new tunes because i dont have nearly enough to mix with heh

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

The reason I dig so much is the very different genres I look for, For example so far this month I've purchased House of all kinds, Techno, Soul, Funk, Disco, Jazz , some Classic Country and a few things I just classify as international.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    no, infact quite the opposite, i really need to get back to digging for new tunes because i dont have nearly enough to mix with heh

same here to the max. i find myself mixing too much and not wanting to spend any new money on tunes because i'm a broke student
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Tech Mentor

I usually play out twice a week, so that's where I practice my performance skills. I should practice on my own, but I've found that stuff I do when I'm bedroom DJing doesn't always translate over to a live show. The exception would probably be making beats, and crazy intros for my sets.
    I would say my personal rule is not more than a 4:1 ratio of prep-performance. If you don't have a place to perform, make mixtapes or something. All prep and no performance is counter-productive and boring. The audience doesn't care how perfect your controller mapping is.
    One caveat: Hours digging for the perfect track or remix is a good idea. Having great music and poor mixing skills still makes you a great DJ. Playing something people haven't heard before, but love immediately is a great feeling for you and the audience.

I do a mix once a month in between that i concentrate on Ableton along with production, I don't practise and I don't constantly mix maybe because i do it because i love the music and not for the want of a gig

either way i should do more but time is limited lol.

Same here for the most part. However, my only real disappointment is, even after my rather grueling process of weeding out the turd tracks (I go through about 3 listens), I always have at least 1 per batch that I play and just punch myself in the balls for buying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast