Getting into Bootloader mode for firmware update
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Arrow Getting into Bootloader mode for firmware update

This is a quick tutorial on how to get your midifighter into bootloader mode if the four corners method does not work.

The four corner method should result in a checkerboard pattern on the midifighter LEDs, if you do not get this when attempting the four corner method then you should take the steps detailed here.

These pictures use an unassembled midifighter, you do not need to unassemble yours to follow this tutorial.

If you have tried the boot jumper method before please try this again, I have used this method to fix 80% of returned midifighters.

Take note of the two unpopulated footprints on the top left corner of the PCB labled RESET and BOOT. These are what we will be using to access the bootloader.

Update: All midifighters made in the last 3 months have two micro switches fitted in these footprints. If you flip you midifighter upside down and see two red circles you do not need to use paper clips.

Step 1: Plug the USB into the MF and the computer.

Step 2: Use a paper clip or pin to press the little red button furthest away from the USB connector, hold this button down.

Step 3: Using another paper clip or pin press down then release the other red button, make sure the first button is held down as you do this.

Step 4: Done! Your MF is now in bootloader mode, remember this method does not result in the led pattern, once you have done this run the MF update application and ignore the instructions at the start - it is ready to update already.

If you don't have the red micro switches on the bottom of your PCB

Step 1:

Fit a jumper (a piece of uninsulated wire or solder) across the BOOT terminals as shown in the photo below.

Step 2:

Connect your USB cable to your computer and then the midifighter

Step 3:

Fit a jumper across the RESET terminals as shown in the photo below.

Step 4:

Remove the jumper from the RESET terminals.

The midifighter should now be in bootloader mode, please note this method does not result in any particular LED pattern so do not expect anything to change visually.

The BOOT jumper does not need to be removed before you attempt to flash the midifighter however you must remove it after sucesfully flashing the device.

Please note you must fit the jumpers exactly as shown in the pictures for this method to work.
    Last edited by midifidler; 09-25-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Tech Mentor

if it seems like u can get into boot mode this way try again with thicker wires i failed many times till i realized the wire i was using was to thin and not making a good contact with the board!

Glad to hear that you got it working DSTEP - thanks for the feedback.

To reiterate what DSTEP said above you may have problems if you have wires which are so thin they dont make good contact with the metal on the PCB holes you insert them itno.

Dirty or corroded wire will also give you the same problem.

Tech Student

he BOOT jumper does not need to be removed before you attempt to flash the midifighter however you must remove it after sucesfully flashing the device.

how do i flash my midifighter? on mac.

thanks

Third Sticky down in the midifighter forum section

How to flash a midifighter with new firmware....

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11511

Tech Student

Still dont works -.-'
    God damn it .

Discovered the problem with the Midifighter Update program. When you drop the MF into Booloader mode, it appears to Windows as a completely different device, a "DFU Device". I'm working on generating the necessary .INF file that will allow you to connect to a DFU device using the USB libraries included in the Updater.

Anyone who has already installed Flip will have installed the DFU drivers as part of that process, so that's why that got overlooked.

My apologies, working on a fix.

What is Flip?
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

Tech Convert

I built my own Midifighter by using the Sources on sourceforge.net . The Midifighter works great and the update with the Midifighter Update program worked without any problems.

The data on Sourceforge weren't updated yet and I don't know how to connect the LED for the MIDI beat clock with the pin of TLC5928. I guess it is the pin 22, but can you please confirm my estimation or update the data on sourceforge?

Quote Originally Posted by FUFR View Post
    What is Flip?

Atmel "FLIP" is an application from the chip makers Atmel and can be used to program their microcontrollers with new firmware.
    See here for more.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast