Promo mix advice

Default Promo mix advice

Yoo so I'm about to start handing some cd's out, wondering what you guys think about track selection.
    I usually play mostly electro (boys noize rec, ed banger, institubes, etc) but also play lighter stuff..
    My plan is to put mostly light stuff on a promo disc and then maybe after a couple of gigs play some of the harder shit depending on the situation (club/crowd etc).
    Is this a good idea? It's not like I hate playing dancy-er stuff but a lot of my collection is non vocal electro.
    Or do you guys just think I should put on what I would always play and see what happens?
    Advice would be grand.xo

Tech Wizard

my advice would be to put out a cd playing what you'd ideally like to play in a club. its far too easy to get type cast as a warm up jock by showing your versatility and ultimately if your any good thats what you could stay forever, no shame in that but often means your playing to the bar staff and a couple of mates. If handing out the full on demo brings no joy i'd follow up with a slightly more mellow mix. Then you can start looking at blowing their socks off with that and moving towards the set time you really crave.

Tech Wizard

also hook me up with some mixes dude, sounds right up my street.

Cheers man yeah I have the same thoughts. I thought of Maybe just doing 2 15/30min mixes with each showing a bit of different shit, and I suppose if they like either I can get booked.
    Only trick is I'm trying to cop like a lunchtime bbq party thing at uni so probably can't get away with &down...
    Check my sig man I've got a few on mixcloud.. 17/7 is the only one track listed but I listened to 16/5 today and I forgot how many good tracks are in it.
    Hit me with some feedback if you get around to any of them too man.
    Cheers for the advice!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    Cheers man yeah I have the same thoughts. I thought of Maybe just doing 2 15/30min mixes with each showing a bit of different shit, and I suppose if they like either I can get booked.
    Only trick is I'm trying to cop like a lunchtime bbq party thing at uni so probably can't get away with &down...
    Check my sig man I've got a few on mixcloud.. 17/7 is the only one track listed but I listened to 16/5 today and I forgot how many good tracks are in it.
    Hit me with some feedback if you get around to any of them too man.
    Cheers for the advice!
    from my experience i used to play alot of hard trance, but dabbled with other genres like breaks and became basically a pretty decent warm up dj for hard trance parties. which was great as i played out alot and venues i wanted to but never to the packed room playing the music i really wanted to. so thats why i say be careful of becoming too type cast as warm up dj.

another solution is to send over more than one demo, although then you run the risk the promoter wont list to it. Or just pass over the full on demo and say you can do something a little less peak time. If you can show you've got skills and also show your flexible to the promoter the more chance they'll want to work with you. sometimes you've got to put in that work of playing the early sets to gain that respect and more often than not promoters will recognise that and reward you with a more peak time set.

must say the whole electro think is right up my street at the moment so will deffo give the mixes a listen and let you know my thoughts.

Why dont you try to make the mix increase in energy over time, ending with the bangers you want to play.

Pretty much setting yourself up for a warmup slot but showing you have versatility to bring the crowd up and mix big tunes.

As your new to the game, your more likely to wind up playing a warmup slot because the promoters dont trust you yet. You gotta get out there and show you have the skills and responsibility to be a reliable DJ. Then the later slots might start opening up for you.

The best thing to do though is tailor your mix for the gig/establishment. Look at it from their point of view, do you really want banging house in a small lounge bar at 9pm? What would you expect the people would be looking for from a lunchtime bbq set?
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    What would you expect the people would be looking for from a lunchtime bbq set?
    Werd. That idea about increasing the energy is good too man. Might just have to tailor the bbq one a bit and then get more into what i'm interested in for club promo's.
    At this stage i'll take anything I can get anyway so pretty happy with a warm up slot. Then melt faces in a couple of months or so..

Thanks for the words peeps