Kinda OT: Modesty vs. Boasting. Where do you stand?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kinda OT: Modesty vs. Boasting. Where do you stand?

So me and my best friend are both DJs (he does fair bit of production too) and ive come to realize that when talking about our music, we're very different about the way we do it, and it kinda annoys/concerns me.

When i release a mix or mashup, i just fill in people on the basic details, upcoming works, asking to take a look/DL, etc. I have a lot of friends on FB who are not very big into electronica so i dont try to push it on them to listen, i let them come to me. But then my friend over here, he makes the biggest deal about every single thing he releases. it "rapes". it "destroys". it "will melt your face". now ima give him credit, considering his skill and what he has to work with, he's pretty good.

but still, after the last mix he put out and i see him post "i have never heard/created a mix so good" it got me wondering.....is that the way to help promote yourself? i see that it gets himself an alright amount of attention by putting yourself out there like that, but at the same time i dont feel like if i took that attitude to a club manager or promoter and handed him a mix with that kinda enthusiasm that id be well recieved

Thoughts on this?

http://soundcloud.com/dj-solus
    -
    Equipment: M-Audio Xponent w/ Torq Software, Akai APC40 w/ Ableton Live 8, Korg Padkontrol

I mix for myself... extra attention is a bonus. Of course I publish my sets in FB and sometimes in the DJTT forum, but it's not much of a big deal, music should speak for itself.
    Music is communication, as any other form of creation.
    SoundCloud
    MBP 13", Traktor Pro, Presonus Firebox, Numark Stealth, Akai MPD-18, Behringer speakers.

ctrld

even though I have a healthy ego, I'm never quite satisfied with myself. the good part about this is that I'll probably never lose the motivation to improve... the bad part is that most of the stuff floating around my hard drives is not available online because I think it's not good enough, even though people keep telling me it's awesome.

but I have stuff in the works and this will change soon.

Tech Mentor

Wow ctrld... I'm in your sig?

This should be all the hype you need: "Just listen to this." Let the music do the talking.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    Wow ctrld... I'm in your sig?
    until someone says something equally entertaining, yes.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nicolas View Post
    I mix for myself... extra attention is a bonus
    qft
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Fans will come, you don't need to over boast your stuff. Its ok to say things like "I think this is one of my best mixes/productions to date"... but to say "it is the best", or "it will met your face" (one of the dumbestt ones i've heard)... well this guy sounds like a bit of a douche.

There are times to talk yourself up, like when talking t club promoters etc, but I think your friend's way of doing it will keep him just where he is right now. He isn't going to grow outside of his own little box with such an attitude. Confidence is good, arrogance is not.

Well, I'm from Belgium and the whole DJ scene is pretty big here. Literally 1 out of 3 kids call themselves DJs here these days. When I started playing music, it was just for fun and the love for vinyl. Promoting yourself wasn't really necessary if you were just a solid DJ playing the music you loved. Over the years I saw a lot of kids promoting the shit of out themselves just to make a quick buck at some local party. Some of them are still doing pretty good, but most of them dissappeared as quickly as they arrived.

I don't play out as much as before, also because techno is pretty much dead nowadays and I simply don't make mixtapes as often anymore. So promoting myself, I don't know...

I still believe that if the music and mixing techniques are good, it'll promote yourself eventually.
    Who wants to be an arrogant/cocky DJ anyways...

Tech Wizard

modesty makes you look better, so does pwning a loser dj who talks big. time for a dj battle soul XD

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Saying shit like that might fool some kids into thinking are actually that good, but to me if you need to advertise yourself in that manner your obviously compensating for something.

Excessive self hype is a sure fire way to loose the respect of both seasoned promoters and other artists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast