Dj Lighting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dj Lighting

Tech Convert

Default Dj Lighting

Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked before, but I am a new dj and am looking for advice as to what dancefloor lighting to buy first. I do mostly house parties and am looking for something around $300. People have recommended the American DJ Galaxian which goes for around that price and it seems like a great option. Is this a good light by itself or should i go for two cheaper ones or something else?

I use a Chauvet LED Kinta X (130USD) and an American DJ LED MegaBar 50 (150USD) for house parties. If I had the choice, I'd get the American DJ Agressor Tri LED (130USD) instead of the Kinta though. American DJ products seem to have better response to the music, at least to me. I'd also recommend a small fogger - I have the American DJ MiniFog that I snagged for 40USD. The fog creates a neat effect as the beams of light from the fixtures cut through it.
    www.djstormeagle.com

DJ Gear: Traktor Pro 2|Traktor Kontrol S4|Macbook Pro
    Audio Gear: Crown XLS 1500|Behringer 212XL|Gemini GVX-SUB 15P
    Lighting: American DJ Galaxian 3D|American DJ LED Megabar 50|American DJ Mini Fog

One thing with fog you have to watch out for is setting off smoke alarms though. Some places don't like it for that very reason. It's one of the reasons why Hazer's are so in style recently.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Very true - but hazers also have the same problem. It all comes down to not using very much of the fog/haze. In fact, this is a case where less is more. Just a little fog or haze every 10 mins is more than adequate for a small gig. More info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeYbmwVm2V0
    www.djstormeagle.com

DJ Gear: Traktor Pro 2|Traktor Kontrol S4|Macbook Pro
    Audio Gear: Crown XLS 1500|Behringer 212XL|Gemini GVX-SUB 15P
    Lighting: American DJ Galaxian 3D|American DJ LED Megabar 50|American DJ Mini Fog

american dj LED based lights a re great value for money, and no worries about blown bulbs,
    lighting effect bulbs are expensive, i've often set up my lights and had £20 go pop as two bulbs go, so i had to carry spares, and you have to mind thes as moisture of a slight bang and they'll blow as soon as you power them.

american dj led bars are great and feature DMX which is like midi for lights, allowing you to do custom light shows as your setup grows, american dj revo is a great room filler and their combination bars, cant remember the name but they have a lazer, moonflower and strobe built into one unit.

oh and if you're doing house parties, chances are there will be smokers in the room, so you wont need a fogger or haze machine, man life was easier before smoking was banned in venues in ireland and the uk

Tech Convert

DJ Lights for house parties should get away with small laser and LED fixture.

Two American DJ Mega Bar 50's would be the perfect thing. They aren't as cheesy as the usual effect lights, but they keep things interesting with a very bright wash, and are DMX programmable. Realistically, I'd save your money and pick up a couple of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNRwc...eature=related

Tech Mentor

I just bought an American DJ LS60a package.. 4 par38 cans+dmx controller+stand for less than $200.. They're halogen pars and get bloody hot, but amazing package

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

as far as the hazer goes, are there any cheap ones out there? those things are expensive!!! all i see for cheap are fog machines. =(

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiExcel View Post
    as far as the hazer goes, are there any cheap ones out there? those things are expensive!!! all i see for cheap are fog machines. =(
    There is a very simple and true mythos to lighting. You get what you pay for. I know this is cliche, but it tends to be doubly true for lighting. Older people hate smoke machines due to the smell and the residue that they leave. Cheap hazers are nothing more than smoke machines. Also, they are, from what I hear, far less effective compared to hazers. A quality hazer will fill a large room with haze and VERY clearly show the beams of your lighting just as heavy smoke, but when the beams are absent, it's almost impossible to tell there is anything in the air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast