vcm 600? over glorified nanopad?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default vcm 600? over glorified nanopad?

Just bored and thought why not get a vcm 600, seems nice, but am not sure if there is anything I should be aware of...

Anyone here ever use one?
    pros and cons?

Thought it was too expensive for what it dishes out, move on to next unless:
    a) you can find one on the cheap, secondhand.
    b) you have way too much money on your hand.

There are other controllers that are way more versatile, offer you more, but cost you way less.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

I was thinking of using something like this to control a bunch of fx... something like effectrix ... be able to control the wet/dry and volume for each effect. I guess something like a dedicated fx controller.

what else would you suggest then?

Tech Mentor

If you use Ableton you could consider a Launchpad/ UC-33 Combo first. Much cheaper.
    Butcher
    DJ/Producer/Audio Engineer

Tech Wizard

Actually.... I realy like vcm600
    but...like tekki said it's too expensive ... (but vcm600 is most beauty Controller Ever 4 me)

Tech Wizard

If I had the money for a vcm600 I probably would have bought one but I can do a whole lot more with my APC40 for less than half the price

I think the issue Im having and is probally a running them for anyone using ableton is having things set in stone on one level or another, or having it generically flexible to adjust as needed. One day I might think one way is perfect and the next day I change my whole scheme to something new.

There are a few constants with my signal flow.
    And everything I explain is the opposite of what Im saying for the most part.
    1.) I am trying to get away from software based sound manipulation(less time using a mouse) and constructing the beats/synth in the digital realm. In other words I dont want to spend any time contructing songs with loops of beats or different synth notes. In the computer that is...
    2.) All my beats and synths will come from 6 sources (3 electribes) I prefer to do my individual parts on the electribes... muting, unmuting, modulating, using all the motion curve adjustments on the fly.
    3.) All my FX and sound manipulation should happen digitally more or less. I do have some guitar pedals which I have routed into XONE 92 (like a slicer sl-20, and a space echo se-20) but these are more used for specific transitions or flavors I tend to use when djing
    4.) All 3 electribes are going into a xone 2d and ending up as 6 channels in Ableton. Then 2 stereo pairs are going out of the xone 2d and into 2 channels of the xone 92. The other 2 channels on the mixer have a cdj2000 and a kaossilator pro. I use do transforms from the beats into those two sources with whatever combination of the vcf filters and aux send/returns
    5.) The xone 2d has a xone 1d to compliment it and have the faders controlling the levels for the incoming electribe signals and 2 of the Ableton sends. The buttons on the xone 2d and 1d are muting, or switching the channel to A or B, the remaining buttons are unused and the knobs are all controlling sends A-D for all channels..

The main issue Im having is trying to simplfy it by making it more complex(seems to be a running theme)
    Im using effectrix to essentially have multiple fx combinations but... no way of having the whole plugin be mapped in a way that its always ready to go..

So I thought the vcm 600 would be a way to dedicate the whole controller to this one plugin.

Im doing yoga so I can learn how to lift a leg and use the crossfader if I need to. Just kidding.. but I have considered it.

The idea is also to have a second person at some point...

Last edited by djfrogstar; 09-13-2010 at 08:50 PM.

I own a vcm-600 and its awesome - then again i picked it up second hand for less then half the price that it retails around here. I swear the guy who owned it never used it because its in perfect condition.

Cant really think of any cons with it, it does exactly what it says it does

Its totally awesome fun doing 6 channel mixing, 2 channels for djing, 3 channels for loops, 1 channel for maschine.

Ive been reading up on this and the apc 40... On one side I like the apc 40, but im not really into triggering clips...so most of the whole thing would be not used...
    The vcm just seems like if I have certain things always constant... I can access them without having to pause to think if its on the right page or not.
    My only concern.. is the size... When I move to australia early next year, this will have to go in my backpack..

based on the dimensions I think I can get it to fit just barely
    this link sounds like a virus.. but its just a military gear site
    •Dimensions: 19 in x 13 in x 8 in (482 mm x 330 mm x 203 mm)
    http://www.trojangroupuk.com/product...roductid=16627

-edit... Also Ive read about some issues a few people have had with the VCM 600, something about a zippering effect in the audio... not sure if thats just a fluke thing or if everyone has this problem
    Last edited by djfrogstar; 09-14-2010 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post
    -edit... Also Ive read about some issues a few people have had with the VCM 600, something about a zippering effect in the audio... not sure if thats just a fluke thing or if everyone has this problem
    Never experienced anything like it what so ever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast