Dubstep?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dubstep?

Tech Guru

Default Dubstep?

I'm sorry I've tried to listen to it and I just don't get it. I love all styles of music I can even get into some happy hardcore every know and then but I just haven't heard a single Dubstep track that really excites me or that I can recall with great clarity. I know I am getting on in my years but I'm still not that old (30ish) but I mean I really just don't get it. I know it's the newest greatest thing or so I'm told by countless magazines and other people I know but I really just don't see it. Flame me if you want (thankfully not too much of that goes on on these boards) but if there is anyone who could really explain why. I can listen to a house record from 20 years ago and pick out parts and so ok thats good thats good and I can do that kinda with dubstep but thrown together it just sounds like garbage now that is is my opinion of it and I'm not trying to trash it I'm really trying to understand it and get it and take it in so I can learn from it but it has yet to hit me. Thanks everyone thou for all the help so far and if anyone could help me understand this maybe I could get past this plateau I have seemed to hit.

Maybe it's just not for you brah
    ---
    Have you tried playing it so loud it makes your insides shake about?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

its as simple as liking something or not.

Some ppl like "A" while others like "B".

you are not required to like it or get it
    GPS of Fresh Wet Paint | "Always Fresh n' Sticky"
    DJEditorHugger

Fresh Wet Paint: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud | Site
    GPS: Facebook | Twitter | Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by bartboy View Post
    I can even get into some happy hardcore every know and then
    There's your problem.

It's not for everyone. There's a lot of electronic music I don't like, say for instance... happy hardcore...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Default Different strokes.

As suggested, might just not be for you. I know I can't listen to hardcore or any of its sub-genres without feeling like I'm going sterile, but that's just me.

I enjoy most it: can't really appreciate the wobble, though.

Suppose it comes from all the broken beats, house, techno and two-step.

Tech Wizard

as has been said....horses for courses....I must admit that it was all new on me until I came out here to Christchurch, NZ at the end of last year – dubstep is huge here – it’s the main sound. I haven’t gone all out to hear it here out and about (house and techno has always been my thing) but I played a rave recently where this guy called Gomorrah played also and he was very very good. Watching him play was the first time in a long time where I’ve had “how on earth has he done that” moments. His set rocked – but it’s like all DJs – we can tell apart the good from the bad, doesn’t matter what the genre. He really worked his set well with breakdowns, build ups, vocals, some almost tech house type bits too. all characterised by the most extreme bass I’ve heard in a long time. quality mixing and programming. great stuff all round.

he produces as well as DJs – you can take a listen to his stuff on soundcloud here.

http://soundcloud.com/gomorrah

there’s also a mix on that page from Phat that I haven’t listened to yet but will do now that this thread has reminded me :-)

not saying everyone should love this – my favourite dubstep type track so far is Skream’s mix of La Roux In For The Kill but I know so little about dubstep generally and it would possibly be embarrassing for me to try and have a conversation with someone who does :-) – but it might be a good place to start if you’re looking for quality in this genre.

I personally still have problems understanding gabba – but hey we can’t love everything can we :-)

cheers

daveq

The first time I heard dubstep I was like what the fuck? that's what the kids are into these days? (I'm in my 40s now btw)... Then I wound up in a small club in SF where the DJ was spinning nonstop dubstep and there were two British sounding MCs freestyling over the beats -- there was some great energy in that club, I just loved it! I became obsessed with it after that, and went to clubs wherever I could find them (at the time there was very little dubstep available in LA) and started buying records and such.... I really dig it still but most of the people I know barely even know what it is, and some of them even hate it. I think it's partly "different strokes" as other say but I also think it could be tied to experiences -- I might still not like it if I hadn't wound up in that SF club back in 2004 or so....

I've been trying to put together more accessible dubstep mixes to get people who don't like dubstep to appreciate it more (mostly b/c my girlfriend hates it, lol). Some of it is really menacing, and all that bass turns some people off; but some of it has more of an organic vibe. Anyway here's a sample of some stuff that I find more accessible; even my gf says she likes this one so check it out if you're still trying to get into it - http://soundcloud.com/djproben/dewbstep

the beauty of dubstep is its variety. there are so many different sounds that are dubstep, you really have to explore the genre as a whole to understand where everything is coming from, and going in different directions with. based on your preferences, maybe try some of these guys: headhunter, von d, sub scape, breakage, even some reso. hope this helps
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I'm really trying to understand it
    Theres your problem

I know it's the newest greatest thing or so I'm told by countless magazines and other people I know
    hehehehe - I'd hardly call it *new* thesedays. I've been aware of it for over 6 years, and went to some of the early Dubloaded and FWD>> nights and I know it was around before that. It is fucking everywhere, and seems to be used as a shorthand for hipsteresque types to indicate how 'cool' they are.

I don't mind it in short bursts - 'original' dubstep can be proper beardstroking geek fest territory, but you've got to appreciate the attention to detail that some of the producers have got for a sound and there are some classics in almost *any* genre of music - I still have a soft spot for Skream's Midnight Request Line. but I wouldn't imagine spending an entire night dancing to it.

I prefer my tunes with more funk/break to them anywho ...
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 09-15-2010 at 08:39 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast