jumpy phase & calibration failure with timecode CD's
    Tech Guru

Default jumpy phase & calibration failure with timecode CD's

I DJ'd at a big pool party the other day & it was quite an important gig. Lots of peeps watching. I used Pioneer 1000's with timecode. I kept getting the phase meters (or what ever they're called... the meters above the wave form on each deck that tell you how out of sync you are) jumping all over the place. I had to keep hitting sync on my controller to keep it bang on, but they'd keep jumping, not drifting, out of time. Another DJ had timecode CD's he downloaded & when I tried them it seemed to sort the problem out. I know NI did a timecode CD update which I have now downloaded, but I want to confirm that was the issue and not just coincidence that the problem didnt happen again after using his CD's. Does anyone know what the update sorted out?

I also DJ'd in a big club the other night and had a calibration failure, again with CDJ's. I can't remember the reason but Im pretty sure it said 'medium unknown'. With like nearly 2000 people in front me I couldn't start messing around fault finding so I just had to go fully internal. I was definitely 100% on CD mode in the timecode set-up. All I can think is that the CDJ cables had something to do with it. They weren't you're usual red & white phono leads, they were the metal kind that are a bit longer on the grip part so might not have fit snuggly due to the extra weight (maybe). I know it's a case of fault finding. But someone might be able to shed light on the matter as to whether the CD's had something to do with it. Like is this a known fault?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by dodge; 09-15-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    I've seen that article cheers, I'll prob go down to the club when it closes, plug my shit in and fault find when know one is there. But the write up doesn't cover what I am asking about the jumpy phase meters & what the updated timecode CD's have fixed. Anyone know the answer to either of those questions?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    I've seen that article cheers, I'll prob go down to the club when it closes, plug my shit in and fault find when know one is there. But the write up doesn't cover what I am asking about the jumpy phase meters & what the updated timecode CD's have fixed. Anyone know the answer to either of those questions?

Cheers
    i was thinking more the medium unknown bit, think it says in there that the interface is on the wrong setting when that happens?

were the tracks actually out of sync when phase jumped around? i find with some tracks it moves regardless, which is why i removed it from the screen

SoundCloud

Yeah, that phase meter is really distracting unless you're mixing MIDI only. It's jumpy, but plays just fine regardless of the reading.

To be completely honest, your decks will stay in bang-on sychronization even if the phase meter is wavering or off slightly, but just slightly. So don't worry.

Even on long blends in excess of two-three minutes I've had not audible issues with the meter not absolutely nailing that centerline.

on some breaks tracks it's all over the place

SoundCloud