Harmonic Mixing
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Mixing

Default Harmonic Mixing

I just recently started to getting into harmonic mixing like last week. For those that dont know, this is all about finding what KEY the song is in. I found a program that makes this very east, especially if you use Traktor. http://www.mixedinkey.com/
    It analysis and then writes the key into the comment section (or other sections ) of your MP3's id3 tag. So when you are in traktor you can organize your songs in key.
    This is a great way to step up your game a little bit, bring another factor into your mixing. It also helps alot when doing mash ups over instrumentals with synths.
    side note
    I havent found a way in traktor to change the key but lock the adjusted tempo, If any one knows please do tell.

Tech Wizard

There is a key change button - if you right click on the panel where it shows you the effects and such, there's a key option. I haven't used it at all, I think harmonic mixing is cool but falling into the trap of formulaic "+2 on the Camelot chart" is too dangerous. I do follow the chart most of the time, but I'm not afraid to mix out of key - some track work really well for this. You just gotta know your tunes, I guess.

Heres a free version that when i was checking it out performed better than mixed in key - http://www.mixshare.com/

Enjoy!

Oh wow thanks for the link, Bento! I've been looking for a program just like that.

Thanks for the link. Gonna try that one soon!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

No problems guys I am here to help!

Another note i probably should mention is that these programs are a tool to help find the key, they spit out false positives from time to time. You should use the information you get from these programs then play it out on a keyboard while the song is playing to determine if it is indeed the correct key. If it is not, explore similar musical keys, sometimes its a compatible music key it will detect, but not quite the right one.

Never trust these programs!
    Last edited by BentoSan; 04-26-2008 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Heres a free version that when i was checking it out performed better than mixed in key - http://www.mixshare.com/

Enjoy!
    +1 to Rapid Evolution.

Thanks for the link bento

We could also use the new Melodyne when it finally comes out to help in key detection too

IDD.. When it comes out that is.

(Still think it's an April's fool hoax. )
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast