Keeping on top of your MP3 library?

Default Keeping on top of your MP3 library?

ok guys just need some tips and info on how you store your mp3 librarys, at the moment i have one folder for house(all syles) but it's growing outta control and needs taming here is a snap shot of my current system, any input would be great

Tech Mentor

Default Here's one for ya.

MP3Tag is a fantastic program.

I store my music as follows:

Music
    -Albums
    --Artist
    ---Title
    ----Disc #

-Soundtracks
    --Title
    ---Disc #

-Compilations
    --Title
    ---Disc #

If you store your music in this fashion, then use MP3Tag to write 'Tag to Filename' and specify that the genre is included.

Using Spotlight (Mac) or Search (Windows) you can use a wildcard on your 'Music' directory and find all *house* or *breaks* or *idm* etc. tracks as necessary.

I'd also be curious to hear others' strategies.

I just have one folder with all my albums in it. Then I have four folders for individual singles. They are labeled....

EDM
    Rap
    Indie
    Vintage (which is all older soul/funk/disco)

As you can imagine, having broad categories means these folders are filled with different mp3s. I just use the Finder utility in Mac to access songs. Faster than scrolling through a folder of 500 mp3s.

I wish you could drag mp3s from iTunes directly into Traktor. I know you can access your iTunes playlists, but for some reason I find that more clunky than browsing in iTunes.

A key strategy I've learned on this board is to drag your songs into Traktor as soon as you buy them, and tag them up, add cue points and put in a playlist. I'm getting better at doing that and it makes a huge difference in my ability to find songs quickly.

@Johbremat Are you aware of a program like MP3Tag for Mac? Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by dual citizen View Post
    I'd also be curious to hear others' strategies.

I just have one folder with all my albums in it. Then I have four folders for individual singles. They are labeled....

EDM
    Rap
    Indie
    Vintage (which is all older soul/funk/disco)

As you can imagine, having broad categories means these folders are filled with different mp3s. I just use the Finder utility in Mac to access songs. Faster than scrolling through a folder of 500 mp3s.

I wish you could drag mp3s from iTunes directly into Traktor. I know you can access your iTunes playlists, but for some reason I find that more clunky than browsing in iTunes.

A key strategy I've learned on this board is to drag your songs into Traktor as soon as you buy them, and tag them up, add cue points and put in a playlist. I'm getting better at doing that and it makes a huge difference in my ability to find songs quickly.

@Johbremat Are you aware of a program like MP3Tag for Mac? Looks good.
    you can drag and drop on pc, but cant on mac.... so weak.

I prefer to use iTunes to organise all my music (smart playlists rule!) and then just play from those playlists in my DJ software.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

how I do it is I have one playlist for house and hip hop (which is my largest), playlists for dancehall, juke music, and any other special genres that I dont play as much.

then I have like a "clean" playlist for some top40 stuff.