Need Help Modding My MF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help Modding My MF

Hey World,

So after months of using my midifighter, I think it's time to expand on it. I purchased a Sanwa Joystick Model #JLF-TP-8Y-SK and the wiring harness. There are 5 wires on that harness, and from reading up on the forums, all I need to do is connect 1 to the ground, and the other 4 to the digital inputs on the board. I'm curious if I need to do anything else though? Do I need to wire in resistors for each digital input? Do I have to upgrade my firmware(I have a early release mf from the first run)? Any advice would be extremely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Stevie Vano

I'm trying to puzzle this out myself, I'm pretty sure a firmware upgrade is mandatory. I'm going off the instructions on the cuban midi crisis page, and will post a thread with pics once I make some headway; for now I'm collecting the necessary parts. Going to start with a couple pots but once I think I know what I'm doing I plan to put a fader on it.

I have made some head way on my project. I have soldered in a 10 pin connector which gives me the ease of plugging and unplugging wires into the board. No easy feat considering I'm not a master solderer of any means. I have plugged in the joystick with no success. I assume my next step would attempt the firmware update. I hope I can wrap my head around the instructions to do so. Just to be clear, I purchased my midifighter in April of 2010. Thanks again in advance for an insight.

Default Success!

Since I wasn't getting any feedback from the community, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I went to Radio Shack and bought a pack of 10k Ohm, 1/8 watt resistors. I have soldered in the resistors inbetween wires from the +5v output to a wire from each digital input. On the same side of the digital inputs, I soldered in the corresponding switch on the Joystick. I then soldered each wire into the board(followed this diagram http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...light=resistor). Key thing I overlooked was to go into menu mode to enable the digital input(found here http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9961). Then I benched tested it, and SHAZAM! Success!!! My Sanwa Joystick was finally sending Midi signals to the computer. Next step to the process is to cut new top and bottom plexi plates to put it all together. I'll post pics hopefully by the end of next week.

Nice work! You are way ahead of me. I think I've collected all the parts I need to get started but haven't had the time to actually do anything with them yet. I'll be posting pics once this is more than a pile of parts, heh... I got one of those pin connectors as well to keep things flexible until I know what I'm doing. It all looks pretty straightforward; my only real worry is the last time I soldered anything was literally another generation, lol... I think Rapper's Delight was the hottest thing on the radio

Default Almost done!!! Picture Posted

Got New Plexi and did most of the drilling. It's shaping up to be a really nice and unique Midi Fighter and, even more so, controller. My Midi Fighter has turned heads before, but it'll drop jaws soon enough.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Nice one!

It is great to see somework like this finally coming through

Sorry I missed this thread earlier but glad to see you sorted it on you own!

Default Done!!!!

Hey, Thanks Fidler! It's all done and put together. Tested and works. Now I have to consider whether to keep it a matte clear or paint it. Now I'm off to play!!! Need to figure out how I want to map it.

That looks pretty sweet. Did you take the buttons apart yourself and mix them up or did they come like that? Very nice.

When I purchased the joystick, I also got a few extra buttons. So I decided to try and mix match them to see what they would look like. It's actually pretty simple to do, all you need is to pop in the clips that hold the button in. Even if you only have 16 to work with, you can come up with some sweet combinations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast