Love Music, but totally new to DJing, what controller would u suggest?

Default Love Music, but totally new to DJing, what controller would u suggest?

hey guys, I love alternative, electronic music.But Im new to DJing, what controller would u suggest using in combination with traktor?

Tech Wizard

I was in exactly the same position a year ago.

I went for a VCI-100 arcade and Traktor Pro... never looked back

Or you could try a Vestax Spin/Typhoon? That'll get you in it... if you like djing, sell it and upgrade to better gear...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

First steps, decide how you want to control your music.

Than draw/sketch a picture of what/how would ideally want to have it. (Interaction / interface / workflow design wise)

Will you be an autosync DJ with standard manipulation, than you might be satisfied with a Xone:1D or Kontrol X-1.

Are you more into stronger manipulation, you might want to go for VCI -a-like controllers.

I had a completely different approach to DJ-ing, so I went for the Behringer BCR2000 and MIDIfighter to manipulate my music.

Please think it through before buying a controller, it will safe you in the longer run.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

easy.....vci and traktor and still using the same combo now..this controller is so versatile

Twenty First Century Jukebox

DIGITAL HEART - VINYL SOUL

when i first got into dj-ing, i spent a good 6 months on a pair of cdj's. it's important to learn how to manually beatmatch because i think that gives you a better sense for songs and beats and what not. plus, in case your laptop goes bust in a club you'll be able to make the switch

if possible, find someone willing to teach you on some decks (where do you live? in bigger cities it should be easy) and learn. then from there, once you somewhat know your style, it's easier to make the controller choice
    Dancing to good music should be like having sex with the air.

Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/dj-jarvis

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    First steps, decide how you want to control your music.

Than draw/sketch a picture of what/how would ideally want to have it. (Interaction / interface / workflow design wise)

Will you be an autosync DJ with standard manipulation, than you might be satisfied with a Xone:1D or Kontrol X-1.

Are you more into stronger manipulation, you might want to go for VCI -a-like controllers.

I had a completely different approach to DJ-ing, so I went for the Behringer BCR2000 and MIDIfighter to manipulate my music.

Please think it through before buying a controller, it will safe you in the longer run.
    ^^^ This.

A lot also depends on budget. If the sky's the limit, there's a lot more you can do.

The big thing also, is research software choices. Traktor, Serato Scratch Live, and ITCH. Torq and Virtual DJ if you want, but I don't personally recommend them but some people swear by them.

Once you are set on what software you want to use, then figure out which controllers will work best for your options.

Personally if you have $1000... I'd keep an eye on the Native Instruments S4. It's what I'm planning on getting for my first "real" controller. But it all depends on workflow honestly.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

first... download pacemaker dj software. install it, if you notice hours fly by when using it.. your ready to invest money on dj gear. see above for steps 2-infinity