First Club Gig

Thread: First Club Gig

Tech Wizard

Default First Club Gig

Howdy Folks,

Have my first club gig coming up on Friday.
    1.5 hour set.

Just had a few queries:

Where do I put my controller if there is no table space? I have a piece of foam that sits under it. Is it bad to put it on top of turntables? I know nothing about turntables and wouldn't want to break anything or be seen as a "noob" by the incoming dj after me haha.

Also, with regards to external mixing on the club mixer (djm 800 I believe) do I use channels 1 and 2? And should I bring my own RCAs?

The DJ coming in after me plays trance while I'll be doing an electro/house/nudisco set. What kind of song should I play for him to mix into after?

Any other tips would be appreciated too as I'm sure you have plenty

Cheers!

Tech Wizard

bump

Tech Mentor

never DJed a club before but....

Question 1 I don't know.

Question 2: I would definitely bring your own RCA's and be better to use channel 3 and 4 if the CDJ's are already plugged into channel 1 and 2.

Question 3: Play him a long song to give him some time to set up and get comfortable and try to find one which would be trance friendly to mix with.

Good luck!
    Mixes and Productions on Soundcloud

VCI-100 SE - DJ I/O - MacBook Pro 13" - TMA-1 Headphones

ctrld

set up wherever you have the space without breaking anything. there is no general tip for that, you'll figure it out once you're there.

bring your own RCAs. always. also, bring your own power strip for your laptop and controller. use whatever channel you want as long as you don't make it uncomfortable for the next DJ to switch over. as him what he will DJ on, and unplug something else.

the easiest way to avoid conflict is to COMMUNICATE.

If the club has Technics 1210s and the lids are knocking around (some sound engineers lid them up for protection when the booth isn't in use), you can put one of those back on and plonk your controller on that, on its piece of foam. That's what I used to do anyway. Can you get down to the club to check it out beforehand? That's your best bet.
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Tech Convert

There was a post about your first question earlier this year.
    Here the link:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/02/0...urntables-too/

If you don't want to read, the short answer is yes.
    Putting your controller on foam on top of the turntable is acceptable.