Why must it be so hard to use two controllers?!

Default Why must it be so hard to use two controllers?!

Bah,

Pulling my hair out at this point. I've read through every post, blog, tutorial, etc. on how to map in Traktor, and I've just gotten more confused.

All I want is my VCI-100 to work like it normally does, and have my MPD32 pads as FX faders and Hot Cue pads. Sounds like it would be simple- It's anything but simple.

Why can't it be as easy as other programs?? [Install drivers, open software, click midi learn, have fun]... I'm about to give up and just use the VCI-100 and my mouse.

Tech Guru

you mean this? :
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/02/2...rs-in-traktor/

load up your tsi for your VCI as you normally would, then add the new mapping you've made for your mpd through the LITTLE drop down menu, or else it'll override your old one... hope that makes sense.
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Both controllers need to be on different midi channels.

The VCI is on channel 1 so you need to be able to select the Midi channel of the MPD.

Dont have any experince of the MPD so i dont know if you have a Midi editor to change the channel

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Both controllers need to be on different midi channels.

The VCI is on channel 1 so you need to be able to select the Midi channel of the MPD.

Dont have any experince of the MPD so i dont know if you have a Midi editor to change the channel

it also works if you assign the midi maps to the right IN/OUT ports inside the controller manager.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Very true.

Thanks guys. After doing the proper sequence of imports, I now have the VCI working as normal, and the MPD32 functioning with hotcues! It's still a bit wonkey, as the FX buttons are toggling the fx but are also hard panning the EQ simultaneously :/

I am making progress though! I'm using the ShinyHouse.tsi for the MPD and the stock .tsi for the VCI-100, I can't seem to find where to set the midi channel for each controller though...?

Tech Convert

On the controller screen, in the upper right corner you will see In-Port and Out-Port. It's next to Device. Set Device to the controller you want to set then set the In-Port and Out-Port dropdowns.

Last edited by MjrTom; 09-19-2010 at 05:08 PM.

it seems like you have some conflicting midi messages with your vci and mpd. you can get rid of those using the controller manager. this will you enable you to load up both midi devices, regardless of which midi channel theyre on.

heres what i did...

1) open up your traktor prefrences, go to the "controller manager" section
    2) first we will set up controller 1 (in your case the vci). near the top of the window, click the "Add" button, and you will see a drop down list. here you can select "generic midi device" if you want to create your own mapping, or "import" if you want to load a .tsi file.
    3) Now in the upper right hand corner of the controller manager page you will see a drop down box entitled "In-Port". Here your going to want to select your first controller (VCI-100 for you). Also select the same device in the "Out-Port" drop down box. Leave the "Device Target" on Focus.
    3) Now your ready to set up controller 2 (the MPD). Go back up to the "Add" button. Select "generic midi device", or "import" to load a .tsi for this controller.
    4) Once you have your mapping, select your controller in the "In-Port"/"Out-Port" drop down boxes. (in your case the MPD)
    5) Save and close prefs.

Hope this helps...

Tech Wizard

+1

I'd also recommend getting in the good habit of using different MIDI channels, this will enable you to get to know you're equipment a little better and also apply it to software that don't necessarily have the In-Port and Out-Port function Traktor has.
    Macbook, Novation Ultranova, Novation Launchpad x2, Behringer BCD3000, Allen & Heath Xone 1D x2 (I'm trying to sell these right now), Traktor Scratch Pro v1.2.7 (It's Legal)
    http://www.facebook.com/dynamicsmusic
    http://soundcloud.com/dynamicsmusic

Use the supplied softwared with your MPD to change the midi channels (can't change the VCI from memory).

Also, I found that I had to change the button config a little on my mpd18, as some buttons had duplicate values assigned to it, so they would trigger the same function in Traktor. Just used the supplied program and gave each and every button it's own unique value (I'm using the term "value" cos I can't remember what the proper term is supposed to be - key/CC note.. i dunno)