If you were starting out today... - Page 2

View Poll Results: What gear would you buy today if you were just starting out?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • NI Kontrol S4

23 44.23%
  • VCI-100SE+MIDI Fighter+Sound Card

18 34.62%
  • Other, such as Kontrol X1, Trigger Finger, APC40, etc...

11 21.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by completej View Post
    I chose 'other' as I think it is still probably best to learn on basic equipment and understand the fundamentals of music, mixing, and equalizing.
    +1

I think though... as most people will not really build up a vinyl collection, turntables are a thing of the past.

I think the cheapest walmart usb midi controller for the price range would be something to use and eventually figure out what parts you want/need.

Alot of the choices in the poll are semi advanced in terms of someone just starting out.

in 2003 or someyear around there.. I tried traktor out already being a vinyl/cd dj and I was impressed and so forth... but mouse mixing and spending the time to figure it out was too much... too many options. I didnt have a huge mp3 collection either. Sometimes the simplest interface will let someone get right into it and have all good experiences and not be cumbersome to learning the whole feature list. Long time users of Traktor will just eat up new features .
    Although the vci 100 is a good middle ground. Midi fighter isnt really needed imho as this is just for djhero mixing style( not a ref to xbox game) more the timing to the beat. Same as using a hardware sampler

Tech Guru

iPAD + external audio interface with 4 stereo outs (maybe M-Audio Profire 610)

^^ this will be your setup for gigs, it will allow you to change a lot of controlls because of the Touch OSC versatility
    Latter you can add a controller that would allow you to have a tactile feel for some commands, if you need to. A cheap one for faders, tiny buttons and small faders is the korgNanoKontrol (I have two of them, US$59 each). Another option if you are really a beat juggler is to use the Midifighter...

You need to buy a cheap 4 channel External Analog or Hybrid 4channel mixer for practice at home, I recommend the Behringer DDM4000. You can mid map it, or use it analog as you would at a gig.
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 09-20-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djfrogstar View Post
    +1

I think the cheapest walmart usb midi controller for the price range would be something to use and eventually figure out what parts you want/need.
    korgNanoKontrol all way up! I bought two of them 3 months ago, before it I had a M-Audio v2 25keyboard, I'm loving it, it's perfect for the price.

I'm far away from my dream setup, but I can do all the basic and some advanced psytrance/electrohouse mixing techniques

That is more what I'm looking for. The question is how would your setup be different now than it was when you started.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Tech Guru

This would be my starter build:

*mixing at bedroom*
    Macbook
    Macbook+DDM4000 (mid mapped)
    Macbook+DDM4000 (mid mapped)+korgNanoKontrol
    *mixing at gigs (4 deck external mixing, keep your DDM4000 at home, use the club's mixer)*
    Macbook+korgNanoKontrol+MAudio Profire 610
    Macbook+korgNanoKontrol+MAudio Profire 610+iPAD

CDJ350's. None of the small venues that or a beginner DJ would use have CDJ900's or 2000's, so that whole "1 USB cable to Serato" stuff is much of an argument. If you want to lug around your gear, more power to you, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Everyone else is getting by fine w/ CDJs. Maybe it's that Japanese mentality of sticking out is bad...

Tech Mentor

as a new dj, s4

for me, it's vci-100/nanokontrol/firebox with the label plates taken off the vci-100 and a custom mapping for everything.

Tech Mentor

With what I know now If i were starting out today i would select the APC 40, Ableton 8 and a profire 610 for starters. Take a few classes in ableton learn how to dj and use the software to its potential. Then WHEN YOU CAN FINALLY RIP THROUGH A MIX hopefully the Bridge will come out AND YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!Can learn to mix with time code vinyl too. Jog wheels just dont do it for me. Also later you can use an external mixer as well. Whatever you do dont limit yourself by choosing an all in 1 dj in a box solution unless you can afford a back up.

As someone who is just starting I would say to use

Traktor pro
    2xmidi fighters
    Audio 2 Dj
    and a X Session mixer (or any mixer really)

This way if djing is not really your thing you could still use the midifighters for other software because they are just buttons basically. But yeah, thats my set up and it is on its way now. its my first one as well and im pretty excited!

The S4 is cool and all, but it is lacking the superior mapping, choice of sound-card, and customizability. My vote's on the VCI-100 100%
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast