If you were starting out today... - Page 3

View Poll Results: What gear would you buy today if you were just starting out?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • NI Kontrol S4

23 44.23%
  • VCI-100SE+MIDI Fighter+Sound Card

18 34.62%
  • Other, such as Kontrol X1, Trigger Finger, APC40, etc...

11 21.15%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

would want an all in one if just starting out. more parts more problems in my opinion. probably a numark mixdeck and macbook, the macbook you'll always use. The mixdeck cheap, simple, familiar layout. If you don't like it it will be an easy sale. This setup would allow for an easy upgrade to pro and better controller.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Tech Mentor

I'd always recommend Turntables/CDJ's and a cheap two track mixer in order to learn the basics first.

Its all very well having fancy effects and cue points, but if you cant beat match two audio sources using your ears and a pitch fader, your not a DJ.

Thats a fatal error I made, just relied on sync at first and had no idea how to use real DJ equipment (Turntables and CDJ's) and when it came to developing my mixing skills I had to back track and pick up the basics when I should have done so from the start.

Chances are i'll get hate for saying that. Nevermind.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by JamesT View Post
    I'd always recommend Turntables/CDJ's and a cheap two track mixer in order to learn the basics first.

Its all very well having fancy effects and cue points, but if you cant beat match two audio sources using your ears and a pitch fader, your not a DJ.

Thats a fatal error I made, just relied on sync at first and had no idea how to use real DJ equipment (Turntables and CDJ's) and when it came to developing my mixing skills I had to back track and pick up the basics when I should have done so from the start.

Chances are i'll get hate for saying that. Nevermind.
    That's actually one of the exact reasons why I WANT the S4. As silly as it sounds, it's in it's own way more affordable than a DVS system, 2 turntables, and a mixer. With the ability to add Turntables on to it, it will allow "back to basics" at some point, while still having the other controls that I'm interested in from a digital perspective.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I started a year ago on a dj in a box type setup by stanton and torq dvs. Its quite cheap to do but its limitations and issues really pissed me off. I wish i had just got a controller. Belt driven, broken needles, crap pitch adjustment latency issues. Im probably better off from it though. A cheap controller is a much better option with less headaches + you can take it to partys for practice.
    www.elliotgrainger.com

vci 300 mk2
    13in mbp

Has to be S4 all the way! It's cheaper and you can do a hell of a lot more with it, apart from fader fx mode wouldn't be as good, well that is unless Techtools come's up with a clever way to add a different control message to the bottom of the fader's.

Thats a tuff one to answer and really it all boils down to money, which is why you need to allow for a PC/laptop and software in that list too. It really used to pain me when going round friends house who just bought there first set of decks, even budget turntables are still a few hundred but there pretty much useless and always turns out to be a waste of money. Before midi dj'n kicked off my advice was "if you can't afford two 1210's just buy one and learn to scratch untill you can afford the other" what about mixing? personally I think it's a massive shame more people don't jump on scratching when they first start, I know quite a few very good scratch dj's because of that method.
    My miss's 13 year old nephew is really interested in dj'n, as he has a laptop I thought the Vestax Typhoon would be perfect for him. Yeah I get where people are coming from when they say going back to basics is important, but I think at the age of 13 if he embraces what clearly is going to be the future now (digital dj'n) it will really give him the edge when his older. He will have to learn about beatmatching (sync ISN'T perfect), EQ'n and even some simple scratching I'll make sure of that! it really pained me to actually have to put him off turntable's, but what is there in the analogue world that is good value for money around £200 like the Typhonn. If he's still interested in turntable's when he's able to earn the money he can easily add them to his set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubba Dutch View Post
    Has to be S4 all the way! It's cheaper and you can do a hell of a lot more with it, apart from fader fx mode wouldn't be as good, well that is unless Techtools come's up with a clever way to add a different control message to the bottom of the fader's.

Thats a tuff one to answer and really it all boils down to money, which is why you need to allow for a PC/laptop and software in that list too. It really used to pain me when going round friends house who just bought there first set of decks, even budget turntables are still a few hundred but there pretty much useless and always turns out to be a waste of money. Before midi dj'n kicked off my advice was "if you can't afford two 1210's just buy one and learn to scratch untill you can afford the other" what about mixing? personally I think it's a massive shame more people don't jump on scratching when they first start, I know quite a few very good scratch dj's because of that method.
    My miss's 13 year old nephew is really interested in dj'n, as he has a laptop I thought the Vestax Typhoon would be perfect for him. Yeah I get where people are coming from when they say going back to basics is important, but I think at the age of 13 if he embraces what clearly is going to be the future now (digital dj'n) it will really give him the edge when his older. He will have to learn about beatmatching (sync ISN'T perfect), EQ'n and even some simple scratching I'll make sure of that! it really pained me to actually have to put him off turntable's, but what is there in the analogue world that is good value for money around £200 like the Typhonn. If he's still interested in turntable's when he's able to earn the money he can easily add them to his set up.
    Totally depends on the style of music. A lot of music styles sound like shit when scratching at that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123