1.4FW vs. VCI300 vs. Itch
    Tech Guru

Default 1.4FW vs. VCI300 vs. Itch

Been reading the 1.4FW threads and am wishing I still had or had access to a VCI-100 to check out.

My first question is how does it compare to the 300 and Itch? My real concern is learning how this really work --- if the jogs now have "high(er) resolution" how do we get the jogs in the 300 to work the same. I don't fully understand 7 bit midi vs. 14 bit midi but if the 100 sends out 7 bit at the jogs how much higer resolution are you getting with the 1.4fw? If it's that much more of an increase how can I get the jogs on the 300 to act the same. Would a firmware update to the 300 fix this?

Any thoughts ideas would be great.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Been reading the 1.4FW threads and am wishing I still had or had access to a VCI-100 to check out.

My first question is how does it compare to the 300 and Itch? My real concern is learning how this really work --- if the jogs now have "high(er) resolution" how do we get the jogs in the 300 to work the same. I don't fully understand 7 bit midi vs. 14 bit midi but if the 100 sends out 7 bit at the jogs how much higer resolution are you getting with the 1.4fw? If it's that much more of an increase how can I get the jogs on the 300 to act the same. Would a firmware update to the 300 fix this?

Any thoughts ideas would be great.
    I think it was mentioned that the 300 still has higher resolution jogs, even after applying the 1.4 firmware.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Yeah I figured the 300 with Itch is working better because Itch supports 14 bit at the jogs, but my take on the 300 with Traktor is that the jogs don't work that well because Traktor does not support 14 bit, so the jogs kinda suck. BUT now that 1.4fw has the 100 jogs working damn good, how can I get the 300's jogs to work as well in Traktor? OR is the 14 bit just too much for TP at the moment and no way around that. I'm also curious to hear from Zac and get a comparison from his 300 jog mapping and the 100 1.4fw. Is there much difference.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yes mate the difference is huge.

First off the 1.4 FW for the VCI 100 does not match the Jog Wheel performance of the VCI 300. Nobody would expect that it would obviously, its not 14 bit.

FW1.4 & VCI 100 & Traktor is not as good as VCI 300 & Itch when it comes to Scratching. Period.

But it is a massive improvement. And id say its close enough to make the choice between VCI 100 & 300 a really tough call

As you know the 300 jog wheels feel better than the 100. The size and material they are made of is simply better than the 100. So in that respect the 300 has the win.

But the choice isnt 100 or 300 its Traktor or Itch.
    If this FW can be made to improve the sensitivity of the 300 with Traktor to the same as the jogs are now on the 100 then it would probably be enough to pull you away from Itch (no diss of Itch).

I need more time to test this but its made the VCI 100 a whole new controller.
    No overstatement

Tech Guru

Karlos,

Thanks for the input man. Thats kinda what I was figuring and also hoping for (get the 300 jogs to work as good as the 100 are now). I pre-orderd the S4 so I'm still on the Traktor train, but I do enjoy Itch and having an integrated soundcard just makes the 300 easy to carry and set up for small music playing. I'm def. impressed to hear that 1.4 is THAT much better, props to DaveX for figuring it out. Might have to keep an eye open for a used 100 and check it out. I sold my 100 a while back, but luckily kept my FW kit

Tech Guru

So....any smart midi notes guys know of any ways to get the 300 jogs to act like the 100's? Or what it would take?

Brad.......Zac........anyone????

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    So....any smart midi notes guys know of any ways to get the 300 jogs to act like the 100's? Or what it would take?

Brad.......Zac........anyone????

You can use Bome's MIDI Translator to intercept the high angular frequency relative messages, track them using a register and only forwards a MIDI message when the value changes by +/-8 "ticks". That way you can get a low resolution feed from the high resolution values.

And by "resolution" I mean angular resolution, not 14-bit vs. 7-bit MIDI message resolution. The scratch plates output relative messages, so message resolution is not an issue.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

My head just exploded..:eek:

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    My head just exploded..:eek:
    I understood to about Bomes then after that it was all down hill.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x