Midi mapping for Traktor - a very general discussion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Midi mapping for Traktor - a very general discussion

Hello all,

I'm a complete beginner to Traktor, so I thought I would make a threat to talk about midi mapping and Traktor for those of us out there that have questions.

As a DJ, my DVS currently is Serato. I decided I'm going to switch over to Traktor, because from the look of things, it can do everything Serato can do, with more capabilities. I guess now with the bridge out, it levels the playing field is many ways, but I produce with Ableton and don't think I would feel comfortable to DJ with it.

I've never done midi mappings before, except for my Dicer with Serato, but the functions on Serato are very simple. I'm quite used to coding, and at work, I write macros for Excel (called Visual Basics for Excel).

I recently downloaded the midi fighter mapping for Traktor, and have been enjoying playing around on it, but some things don't seem to be working right, and I would just like to know what's going on in the background so I can get an understanding of what is actually going on.

What I'd like to do is to take functions from my favourite pieces of gear out there, and apply it to a custom midi fighter mapping. So how could I go about doing this? Where do I start when creating a mapping? Any chance one of the Mod can take us through the mappings for the midi fighter that can downloaded from the site?

Thanks in advance

-PL>Y

Tech Mentor

Sorry, but I have to bump this one up.

Mods, if your reading, there seems to be a need for a bit of an in depth discussion on Midi mapping. From the DJTT tutorial videos on how to set up Traktor and midi map, the only thing Ean touches on is that Midi mapping is "tedious and time consuming" and therefore, it's a lot easier to just download the TSI file and plug and play.

For those of us out there like me, we'd like to know how to dig down and actually understand how the mappings work.

Maybe if you can take us through how the Deckalize mapping is done, for example, we can get a better grasp of how to make our own custom mappings.

I personally plan on sharing my own custom mapping when I put mine together

Thanks in advance!

-PL>Y

Tech Mentor

Ok maybe this thread needs to be moved to the Midi mapping forum?

I was just following instructions by not posting in that forum, but obviously there's no interest in the general disscussion.

I'm looking for a Mod response on this one.

the problem is; it's a very broad subject ranging from the simple (e.g mapping the play button) to the complex (macro button or superknob).

different functions have different interaction options, these options lead to further more specific options for that function.

generally when someone needs help with a certain function/operation they are trying to map they just ask in a dedicated thread. if there's specific answers you are looking for, you need to ask the right questions. 'what's going on in the background' doesn't fully cover what exactly you are driving at...

pick a button that performs a function you want to copy, go to mapping screen, add a baasic in, learn it to that button, and look for the highlighted ins/outs in the list. this will show you every function mapped to (technically conflicting) that button.

what kind of things have you got in mind for your own map?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the response.

The reason I chose to make this discussion so broad is because I'm starting out fresh with Traktor. I don't really know the in's and out's of how to midi map stuff.

In Ableton, I've only done extremely basic midi mappings to help me with my productions (like automating a frequency cut-off on a knob, or the volume of a channel to a line fader). In Ableton, it's super simple: just press the "midi" button at the top, click on any function, and move the knob/fader and it instantly learns. In Traktor, this ability is not as obvious to me.

I'd like to start small and just modify Ean's Midi-fighter TSI. I want to change things as simple as having the Cue/Pause button always cue up on the Load marker. Basically mimicing the auto-cue function in a CDJ-1000. The play button already seems to be mapped so that the track Pauses with a second hit, so I don't need the Cue button the pause the track. Just jump back to the marker.

Since I don't beat juggle (yet), I'm much more interested in the loop slicing function that Ean has mapped that that Red button in the videos. In the mapping I have, it seems like the button creates a loop, and the track continues to play silently while the loop is still on. Similar to the "slip" more or "loop roll" in Pioneer/Serato. The problem with this is that while I'm messing around with the loop and slicing it up, that track is still running, and when you get out of the loop, you have no controll over where the track comes back in. I'm looking for something WAY more advanced, but I don't know if it's possible with Traktor.

What I want: some sort of look-ahead fuction that will still slice up my track with the slicer effect, but still able to jump right back into the track like a gated loop roll. So basically, the computer will need to be constantly analysing the track, so that no loop is actually made, but it's playing back slices from the would-be loop. so essentially like a loop roll, but more complex/interesting.

Did I loose you there at all?

If I can get pointed in the right direction, I'll definitely share with everyone once I make some breakthrough.

-PL>Y

This does have the potential to become an interesting thread in the sense that you possess a higher than average technical skill set often required for beyond-the-basic midi programming. You should look into Bome's midi translator once learning the limitations w/in Traktor's mapping options. But to get to that point you will need to first develop your requirements based on playing style, FX usage and general workflow. There are many options available in Traktor as far as "superknobs" or buttons are concerned however a program like Bome's really opens up what I like to call intermatic (interactive and automatic) functions.

Just mess around with TPs midi functions and in a few hours you'll be at a point where things should start to click (hehe). Your background in VBS will make your learning curve in Bome's less steep than most and will be a great asset once you learn the scripting functions available. For instance, I just thought about an EFX parameter in TP that could be altered based upon a midi out value of beat phase monitor or a simple timer based on the BPM (wanted to do some weird sounds from the Formant Filter w/out having to turn knobs).

Quote Originally Posted by PRESSPL>Y View Post

What I want: some sort of look-ahead fuction that will still slice up my track with the slicer effect, but still able to jump right back into the track like a gated loop roll. So basically, the computer will need to be constantly analysing the track, so that no loop is actually made, but it's playing back slices from the would-be loop. so essentially like a loop roll, but more complex/interesting.

Did I loose you there at all?

If I can get pointed in the right direction, I'll definitely share with everyone once I make some breakthrough.

-PL>Y
    Isn't this the BeatSlicer?

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    thats what i was thinking
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Hey Space Monkey,

I'll definitely give Bome's guide a look.

With regards the the beatslicer, I've seen it used, and from what I saw it looks like it kind of captures a slice from the track, and then keeps it stored in the memory. It was probably just being used in its one-of-many ways, but does it have the ability to be used like a loop roll on the fly? My thought was to essentially make a more interesting drum pattern on the fly than a simple loop roll (my style is to create drum hits and change up the patters of the track with the loops).

-PL>Y

Quote Originally Posted by PRESSPL>Y View Post
    I'd like to start small and just modify Ean's Midi-fighter TSI. I want to change things as simple as having the Cue/Pause button always cue up on the Load marker. Basically mimicing the auto-cue function in a CDJ-1000. The play button already seems to be mapped so that the track Pauses with a second hit, so I don't need the Cue button the pause the track. Just jump back to the marker.
    in the preferences you can set it to load to the marker, that's not a mapping thing.

with regards to the slicer, you can sort of mimic the way you want to use it.
    have paramenters premapped to a button, along with the on/off and deck assign set to hold, so it only works while the button is down, pulling a slice, messing with it and then carrying on.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast