Need gear suggestions for getting started
    Tech Student

Default Need gear suggestions for getting started

Hey folks,
    I'm a potential convert from DJ'ing with Ableton + APC40. I'm really intrigued by Traktor, and would love to do more old-fashioned beatmatching techniques than the rigid warping provided by Live. Not to mention the ease with which you can DJ in Traktor -- it seems pretty sick.

I'm curious to know what a good beginner hardware setup might look like. I imagine I'll want a good controller, plus a solid sound card. Not to mention I'll want hardware that let's me plug in my headphones (I don't use phones for my APC40 + Live setup).

I'm using Windows 7 on a desktop PC, but I'd like to have gear that's flexible and can work with either a Windows 7 laptop or an OS X laptop.

My preliminary searches have yielded the following things that I find interesting:
    Numark Mixtrack DJ Controller

Lastly, I don't see any reason not to use the APC40 to supplement my Traktor setup. Any advice (or stories about your setup) to that extent would be cool. I did pick up a .tsi for the APC40, and it provides some nice basic functionality, which I dig.

Looking forward to your input. Thanks!

here's a pretty nice .TSI for the APC40:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d=1#post150164

You could then get an Audio2DJ from Native Instruments to monitor. connect the main out to your speakers/Club mixer and use the other channel to monitor with your headset.

Cheapest set up since you already have the APC.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by looneygeorge View Post
    here's a pretty nice .TSI for the APC40:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d=1#post150164

You could then get an Audio2DJ from Native Instruments to monitor. connect the main out to your speakers/Club mixer and use the other channel to monitor with your headset.

Cheapest set up since you already have the APC.
    I'll probably just sell the APC so I can get something better-suited for Traktor. Any thoughts for setups costing up to $400?

Just buy an X1 + Audio2, both of these come with Traktor LE to see if you like using that sort of system. Then if you like it just upgrade from LE to pro (done online via a download). Although if you want timecode control then thats totally different. Id be tempted to keep the APC as the Tsi file (posted above) is pretty solid and im sure you already know that the APC is solid piece of gear itself no?

Either way, getting an Audio2 is a good idea.

Maybe get an Audio2 and your Numark controller, see if you like it and then if your serious upgrade to a VCI or S4 or dennon or the new pioneer controller ;p Myself however.. I would not waste my money on a Numark controller (im happy to cop flame for it, just my opinion) Id either get the Audio2 and download that tsi file or id grab the X1 and a Audio2.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope it helps.

Tech Guru

You don't need to sell your apc40
    Try some of the maps on the foruns, also think about mixing externally...

If I were you I would buy a External Audio Interface (USB in your case because of your PC hardware) with 8 outs (4 stereo) and a mixer for practicing at home (Behringer DDM4000)

Map everything that you will not controll on the mixer to your apc40 and here you go!

On traktor you will need lots and lots of buttons, trust me I use two Korg nanoKontrols and a Oxygen 8 v2 25keyboard... I still lack some buttons and led feedback...

Tech Student

Ya I see what you're saying about hanging on to the apc40. It'd also be nice bc I could continue working with Ableton Live like I'm used to.

But here's the big thing for me: I'd love to have a set of digital turntables (not sure what the technical term is) to play around and learn how to scratch. Are there any inexpensive but solid pieces of hardware that'd be good starting points for this? Especially something that works in conjunction w the Apc40 would be great.

Proper scratching is the tricky part... the real solution for that then is a VCI-300 and use itch rather than traktor... there may possibly be some Bridge interaction with itch at some point too as The Bridge has just come out for Serato.

There is also the VCI-100mk2 coming out apparently... that may be interesting.

The S4 is also a good high def jogs solution if sticking with traktor though for scratching i'm not sure...

The best thing for scratching is DVS set up...
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    But here's the big thing for me: I'd love to have a set of digital turntables (not sure what the technical term is) to play around and learn how to scratch. Are there any inexpensive but solid pieces of hardware that'd be good starting points for this? Especially something that works in conjunction w the Apc40 would be great.
    I agree with everyone on the forums. You don't need to get rid of your apc40.

If you want something that looks more like a dj setup then I could see why you would sell the apc40. But I have one guy in our group that uses an apc40 and mixes well with it. He doesn't scratch.

I also agree with MaxOne on getting a DVS for scratching.

But if money an issue do some research on the following.

Denon DN-SC2000 $250 New and it controls two decks (only midi)
    VCI-100 (used about $300)
    Used 1200 but you need needles (I've seen them sell for as low as $250)
    Numark NS7 look sweet but it's over your $400 budget. :eek:

We use 1200, cdj100, korg Padkontrol, APC40, NI X1 for our setup. Out of the 8 guys in our group only 2 scratch.

I personally don't beat match I use the sync on traktor. I use the ddm4000, Korg Padkontrol and NI X1. If the S4 launches without any problems I will make the switch and use the S4 and X1.