Why did you choose particular DJ Program?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Why did you choose particular DJ Program?

So what made you choose your particular DJ program. I've been a 2 year user of Traktor, never looked back after using it but I was just recently thinking what influenced my decision. Why have I never considered switching? and even though a lot of other software is beginning to use the same features do people choose one over the other.

I think I choose Traktor because it was the first one I was exposed too. I saw a youtube video of a guy using that POS DM2 but he was able to throw down with it, he said he just used it as a midi controller with Traktor. I couldn't believe it. I came into Traktor at Traktor 3 but it was shortly after that they launched Pro and everything was so streamlined, even for a beginner like me. I had actually never heard of Serato for a while and when I did, I thought it was so limited by comparison. And even though it's the "standard" I still wouldn't switch. What's crazy now is how Traktor is really gaining more of an american audience/scratch audience. They've got Flash, Craze, Klever, and Shiftee.

Another thing that I find interesting is how even though there are so many other DVS systems, Traktor seems to be hot on the tail of Serato (in terms of popularity), while other DVS don't seem to come close even though they offer most of the same features. So what's the Traktor and Serato difference, does it really just come down to branding, or is it more in line with there unique offerings (Traktors Fx, Auto sync, mad midi capabilities/Serato's minimalist interface, and stability) I think it's combination of both for me personally, I feel Traktor is the underdog, and stomps in terms of features. What do you guys think?

I used Live for a while but I ditched it due to three main reasons. The first being Traktors browsing functions (much more comfy than having to sort all your songs in different folders). Second was that I wanted to be able to do "real" mixing, not having to plan my sets in advance. The third (pretty minor though) was that i really hate finding other files in my music folders than just the sound files. Live makes all of these analysis-files to every sound file thats been loaded into the program.

Oh, and I chose Traktor instead of Serato cause Traktors interface looks so much nicer :P

Tech Guru

I used to DJ many years ago on a mixer and two TT 1200's. A while back i wanted to play music at small socials, friends houses, etc. and new that to carry a full set up was ridiculous but with a small mixer I could play enough for us to have fun. I really didn't care about what software to use. Mixing two songs and playing some tunes could be done on any software just as long as I had a decent mixer. So I bought a hercules RMX on craigslist and found out what VDJ was, then when googling the RMX I found this site and ArmyofMe's 4 deck tsi. I started to see what was really capable of just a small mixer with the right sofware. I really wasn't aware of how timecode worked but still had my 1200's stashed. So I went all out and got Traktor Scratch Pro. By this time I knew of Serato, but I had already invested in a TimeCode system as well as a portable one (VCI-100). I was sold on Traktor as a system I could do both on (full set up, or portable midi)

Recently however I started messing around with Itch. Playing on a VCI300 is the closest thing to using two CDJ's and Mixer. Nothing fancy just traditional DJing. Honestly I love it just as much. My gripe with Traktor and controllers, midi mappings, etc. is that somedays I feel more like a computer programer than I do a DJ. All these cables, buttons, USB hubs, midi configurations. modifiers, etc. Sometimes I just wanna sit down and play. TP I think still has limitations, and Itch definelty has a bunch of limitations but I really think the S4 will fill many of those gaps. HID Jogs!!! Thats huge, one-to-one mapping, etc. It sounds so far as the best of both worlds. One thing that I will say Itch has over TP is the colored waveforms. They really are that awesome. So currently I'm using a VCI-300 and play with both systems depending on what mood Im in.

I'm a fan of both.
    Last edited by haze324; 09-27-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Djtt
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Kobbe View Post
    I used Live for a while but I ditched it due to three main reasons. The first being Traktors browsing functions (much more comfy than having to sort all your songs in different folders). Second was that I wanted to be able to do "real" mixing, not having to plan my sets in advance. The third (pretty minor though) was that i really hate finding other files in my music folders than just the sound files. Live makes all of these analysis-files to every sound file thats been loaded into the program.

Oh, and I chose Traktor instead of Serato cause Traktors interface looks so much nicer :P
    pretty much the same reason's why i switched to traktor from live plus i found i wasn't enjoyin mixin on live i found it too mundane for me.

plus i chose traktor over serato due to the need for 4 decks & more cue points per track. Tried itch and it wasn't for me, lookin forward to the s4 now so i can have the sample decks i've always craved

since i didnt feel like spending another $350+ on a usb dongle to activate the software, i went with traktor that worked out of the box with my cdjs.

vdj was nice, but felt a little flimsy compared to traktor.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Mentor

Flexibility, Midi mapping, Sound quality of the Audio 8 vs. SL-1 (at the time). I'd say these are my top 3.

Tech Mentor

Chose Torq due to cheapness then moved onto Traktor dabbled with SSL

Still on Traktor

Why ? because its there !!!!!!!!!

Was a very happy user of DJDecks, liked it for it's relative open-ness compared to other timecode supporting systems. Switched to OSX for various reasons, got annoyed by rebooting into windows via Bootcamp everytime I felt like djing for a few minutes. There was no properly working DJDecks on OSX back then, also I needed a better quality soundcard than the ESI U46DJ which didn't work properly with OSX either. So the Traktor Scratch Duo bundle was the obvious choice. Upgraded to Scratch Pro just for the extra options in layout customizing some time later. I didn't go for SSL because the Audio4 just sounded better to me than the SL2 interface (SL3 wasn't available yet), Torq had a reputation of being rather unstable back then.

I almost sold my Traktor gear because of the extremely annoying AAC caching bug and it is my view that playing audio files properly should be a primary and properly working part of DJ software. Let's see if the 1.2.7 fix works out as soon as it's public.

Chose Ableton Live because of the Modular approach.

I use dekadance if I am in the mood to just freeform my mixes etc...
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast