Speaker/ Audio2dj Question
    Tech Wizard

Default Speaker/ Audio2dj Question

Noob question again. I know nothing about PA speakers so I have a question.

I am going to rent some speakers for a party, probably 2 PA speakers.

1) will speakers without a sub provide enough bass for dubstep/electronic/dance music?
    1a) if not, is it possible to hookup car subs to something with pa speakers?

2) I have an audio2dj sound card, what cables will I need to hook up to powered speakers and will i need anything else other than the speakers?

Thanks guys.

If you rent Powered Speakers you will need 1-1/4 jack cord from your Audio2 to the speaker. Now you will need 1 more 1/4 cord to go from the audio out on the back of the speaker to the input on the other speaker.

Now keep in mind. All speakers are different. You will have 1/4 jacks and Xlr jacks. So make sure you take someone with you that knows what their doing to help you rent the right stuff.
    Traktor Pro, Kontrol X1, 2x Xone 1D, Pioneer DJM600, Technics 1200 M3D's, Toshiba Windows 7. Audio 2
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢) ┌∩┐

Also, you'll want to make sure that the 1/4" cable is a speaker cable and not an instrument cable.

As far as the subs go, I would recommend against using car audio subs to run PA equipment. You would have to have a way of turning 120v into 12v if the subs had an amp attached to them and they are meant for smaller spaces, so the boxes are smaller, and the subs are usually smaller too. Typical PA subs are 18", but typical car subs are 10" and 12"....
    A little bit of gold and a pager.

Tech Wizard

thanks guys

i have 2 12'' subs that i can unhook from the amp, just didnt know if it was possible to hook it up.

Will pa speakers have enough bass?

Most car subs are rated for 4 ohms; while most PA's are 8 ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    Most car subs are rated for 4 ohms; while most PA's are 8 ohms.
    That's not completely right, it all depends on how many speakers are in the PA cabs and how many speakers are in a car box. FOr example, my PV215's are 4ohm cabs because they are 2x15 and each 15 carries an 8ohm load. Same goes for car subs. Either way, most PA amps will carry 8 and 4 ohm loads. My QSC GX5's will do 4 and 8 with no problem, but they won't do 2.

Regardless, you would need to know the ohm rating of your subs and if they are wired in series or parallel because that effects the total ohm load on the subs. Again, car subs are not intended to be used in the method you suggesting and you wouldn't be happy with their output...you might even end up driving them too hard trying to get decent output.

My PV215's do great without my subs for some events, depends on size of location, indoor/outdoor...what PA tops are renting? You could probably rent subs for just a little more.
    A little bit of gold and a pager.