floorstanding speakers?

Default floorstanding speakers?

Am i going to be dissapointed if i buy some floorstanding speakers for djing at home?

Do you think they would be two low down for use? My setup is facing a wall so they would be kind of down by my side facing outwards.

Anyone have setup like this?

I have kef book shelves at the mo and due to the size of teh room and height of teh cieling thay just aren't doing much for me These would also double up as home cinema fronts.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Tech Mentor

What kind of speakers exactly? If they're high end, they should be fine.

When I had turntables I used to rock my coffin on two big boxy home theatre 15s. Doing that for a couple years made me realize that I needed something at head level to really hear if I sounded good or not...
    novation twitch | iMac 27
    blog | twitter

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think you will be disappointed.
    I have some Rokits which are near field so not the same as normal speakers but unless i have them at an exact hight i just dont feel i hear the sound properly at all. In fact i hate it. I spent a lot of time postitioning them and im still never totally happy.

If you want a really cheap way of elevating your speakers use some breeze blocks. They make great stands.

It depends how you position them, nice floor standers well positioned for you mix position will be fine, sounds like that wont be the case tho. Distance from the speakers can help a bit if the tweeters are a little low.

I have two large speakers setup on the floor and two of these at shoulder height

I only purchased the Rokit's after realizing I was unhappy with just my speakers on the floor

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I have the same Rokits. And they rock but you need them at the right height (which isnt that high in my case)

I have Event Electronics 20/20p Speakers which are floorstanding. http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...on_350x230.jpg

I have them setup so they are on the ground facing me but I put basically a block of cardboard under the front of them so they are angled upwards towards me. My home setup is so that I'm sitting on my couch with my laptop and mixer on a table and speakers a few feet away facing towards me. I have no complaints with the setup ... and the sound is just fine.

Yep it all depends on where you are - if you are sitting down so the speakers are facing your head, you should be ok, but if your face is way above the speakers you'll be disappointed. You might want to think about your neighbors too - if your head is above your speakers you might be tempted to crank them up louder, and if they're sitting on the floor and you have downstairs neighbors, you might be more likely to make enemies... If you have speakers on stands or shelf facing your head directly you can keep the volume lower and still hear everything well.

Tech Mentor

Well... if your bookshelf speaks are on a diff amp then your floor standers will produce the low, non-directional for ya... just aim the bookers at your head and all will be good. (as long as ur not trying to do a production mix / master with this setup.. but for DJing... just fine)