A question about an effect a saw mapped on youtube
    Tech Wizard

Default A question about an effect a saw mapped on youtube

This was the one I saw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMbsA...layer_embedded

I have encountered a few problems though; not so much the mapping process (I followed step by step and everything came out perfect), but more so about the "convenience" for this effect.

See, I like how it basically has EVERYTHING done by one turn of the knob and you get all three parameters up simultaneously, and even when you have some previous effects.

But if I need to use this, I cannot map this while a song is playing. So my question goes like this: can I map the "sweep/drama" effect, BIND it to "FX Presets 4?" So when I click FX Presets 4, double tap the headphone buttons on deck B, twist the knob, and the effect goes off?

Right now, I have the sweep/drama effect mapped to the dry/wet knob. But I just realized, when I use other effects, the dry wet knob does not respond anymore, how can I go around solving that problem?

Or, do I totally need to get a separate controller just for fx? like the Traktor Kontrol
    Thanks in advance!

Some background info: I am also using a VCI-100SE with traktor pro.

(i tried pming the creator of the video and failed to get a response)
    Just a VCI-100SE, Audio 2 DJ, Sony V6s and a laptop.
    Looking to improve and meeting people!

While I don't have a VCI, is it possible you have some sort of shift+(open key) to bind all the effect selections to, and a shift+(knob) to increase d/w, ice, peak, and reverb at the same time?

edit: considering what you can macro with traktor, you can pretty much do everything you asked, though i dont know how a "double-tap" could be bound
    Last edited by completej; 10-01-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

assign them to do it while holding down the shift button.

just remember you have to back to the dry/wet command and make the shift modifier to M? = 0

I think someone already mapped this before to work with the Cue button.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

You can even use keyboard hotkey mappings to incrementally increase/decrease these parameters. I know a DJ who does tempo shifts this way.

Tech Wizard

awesome!

so basically i do what the video told me to do, to "turn the knob" but instead hold shift while i do it?

also, you know those three tiny knobs at the top right? there's this one called LEN and i'm not sure what it does, so i am thinking about mapping that knob for the effect, thoughts?

you can map any button to any sort of control you wish, with the added benefit (security) of including a modifier to prevent it from interfering with another mapped command.

lets say you bind SHIFT to setting MOD1 = 5 as a BUTTON HOLD
    then set all your controls to the one knob you want, with the requirement that MOD1 = 5
    this way, you hold shift, mod1 = 5, then turn the knob and get your effects

hell, you could rip out and redo every single mapping to make it more intuitive for YOU and YOUR needs. no one says you need to keep it as is.

Tech Wizard

what you are saying is that as long as mod1=5 which is (when shift is being HELD) and the dry/wet is turned, the mapped effect will come on.

OR

press shift to "activate" then turn the dry/wet and the effect will come on. if that's the case, i will need an LED light on the shift to know that its on...

(sorry, i can't seem to find any youtube tutorials on how to properly map modifiers)
    does the 1 in the MOD1 have any meaning? and how about the 5?

well, you can have shift to both. you can set it to BUTTON TOGGLE, to which pushing shift toggles MOD1 *from* 0 *to* 5. pushing it again resets / toggles back to 0. you can also set it to BUTTON HOLD, to which pushing shift sets MOD1 = 5, and when you release sets MOD1 = 0. Or any value, for that matter.

You could use an LED light on that shift, or have an OUT bound to shift that lights up a different key when your MOD1 = 5 (that is, if shift doesnt have / support an LED feedback. I dont know, i dont have a VCI).

I would highly, highly, highly recommend you export your TSIs, per device, to a backup file, and place them somewhere on your desktop. This way, if you screw up, you can always default back. Then, I would delete them, and create a brand new one from scratch. It sounds daunting, time-consuming, and almost pointless if there is already a TSI in place that does most of what you want. But therein lies the problem - it was someone else's logic, and might not jive with what you're trying to do.
    You have 8 modifiers. Each can be a value 0 to 7.

Here is an example of what I'm doing with a keybind on my APC for an advanced effect. This will all happen at the touch of one key.

The following are INs:
    ----------------------------------------------
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Select - Button Direct - FX 3 - Delay
    KeyChoice1 - Effect On - Button Direct - When MOD1 = 1, set Value to 0 - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect On - Button Direct - When MOD1 = 0, set Value to 1 - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Dry / Wet Advanced - Button Direct - set Value to .000 (0%)
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Button 1 - Button Direct - set Value to 1 - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Button 2 - Button Direct - set Value to 1 - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Parameter 1 - Button Direct - set Value to .750 (75%) - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Parameter 2 - Button Direct - set Value to .50 (50%) - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Effect Parameter 3 - Button Direct - set Value to 1.0 (100%) - FX 3
    KeyChoice1 - Modifier 6 - Button Direct - when MOD6 = 1, set Value to 0 - global
    KeyChoice1 - Modifier 6 - Button Direct - when MOD6 = 0, set Value to 1 - global
    KeyChoice1 - Modifier 7 - Button Direct - set Value to 0 - global
    KeyChoice1 - Modifier 8 - Button Direct - set Value to 0 - global

The following are OUTs
    ----------------------------------------------
    Modifer 6 - LED Out, mapped to button I am pressing, Midi range 1 to 1

In essence, I will push of many buttons i have. It will select Delay as an effect. It will toggle the effect ON by setting MOD1 = 1, and if pressed again will logically proceed with setting MOD1=0, allowing you to switch the effect on and off. It will set Dry/Wet to 0% (so you don't immediately toggle into an effect without knowing what it is and possibly borking your set). It will enable Feedback and Rate options, and set Filter to 75%, set Feedback to 50%, and Rate to 100%. It will also toggle MOD6 = 1 when it's 0, and set MOD6 = 0 when it's 1 (again, a toggle). It will also hard-set MOD7 and MOD8 to 0, which are competing modifiers, waiting for 2 other types of buttons to be pressed. They have the same logic, but look for MOD7 or MOD8 to be equal to 1 so THEIR effect can be enabled, setup, etc. Finally, when MOD6 = 1, the LED for that button lights up.

These details are off the top of my head with arbitrary values chosen, but should get the basic idea of how to macro multiple changes to one button. This is also the tip of the iceberg, as I'm sure some heads here can do a helluva lot more than I can at this point. Also, that person in the video describes exactly what I posted, but with more info to change ANOTHER effect, set it's settings, and set a button to toggle the freeze on or off.

Again, export your TSIs as they are now so you can default back to them if (when) you screw up. You will screw up. Everyone does (especially considering how poorly designed the current incarnation of this control screen is. Jesus.). So get over it, bite the bullet, start from scratch, and see exactly what you can do after a few days of tearing it down and rebuilding it.

/wallotext
    Last edited by completej; 10-01-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Tech Wizard

great, thank you for your lengthy lesson, it helped me understood mappings a lot better, i am going to give it a try as of now.

(ps: this seems like programming language)

yeah np, and im definitely not pro at this, but coming from a scripting language background, it really does feel like simple programming.

Code:
    select case mod1
         case 0
              effect button 1 = on
         case 1
              effect button 1 = off
    end select
    if you have any knowledge of scriptable events, im sure youll pick it up no problem. i have read several times, however, that undoing someone else's bindings and trying to relearn can be a major pain in the ass. best go at it from ground zero.